[comp.sys.atari.st] Flaming of ATARI and the REflaming of myself

K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET.UUCP (03/11/87)

Just to clarify once more:

   - I know that Atari is a small company and I appreciate the efforts
     (Alex,Neil and Landon) they are making to keep us on the net informed.
     But since they are small, that is one more reason to keep the number
     of different product lines small (->Atari PC).

   - I realize that things like 40 folder bug, GEM problems are in their
     roots not ATARI's fault, on the other hand they didn't just notice
    them yesterday. The 40 folder problems was the subject of longer
     debates nearly a year ago, and just as old are Atari's promises of
     fixing the problem. (This was just for the newcomers, so that they
     get the proper perspective :-)

   - I don't think that Atari will drop the ST line tomorrow, but if
     read the responses of Neil and Alex carefully, you will notice
     that two of my major complaints have been confirmed:
             - ST/020 earliest beginning 88 (this means in the real world
               christmas 88)
             - Blitter upgrades late this year
             - Date for the MS-DOS emulator...who knows...

   - I don't think Amigas are that wonderful, typically for use in a
     office by a none Hacker, they are absolutly hopeless (not much
     better than raw MS-DOS). On the other hand you can't bomb the
     machine with a '_'!

                      Simon
                      K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET

hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (03/11/87)

In article <8703110110.AA15155@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> Simon says:
   - I don't think Amigas are that wonderful, typically for use in a
     office by a non Hacker, they are absolutly hopeless (not much
     better than raw MS-DOS). On the other hand you can't bomb the
     machine with a '_'!

Strangely enough, you won't find any Amiga owners to agree with this
criticism (especially since it is unfounded). Why invite another religious
war? Personally, I think we should all stick together. Yep, it's the
fans of the ST, the Amiga, and the MacIntosh, all up against the Big
Blue Menace. Imagine all the people out there who still think that only
the IBM PC is a "real" machine. Flame them!
	Doug

leavens@atari.UUCP (03/11/87)

>      read the responses of Neil and Alex carefully, you will notice
>      that two of my major complaints have been confirmed:
>              - ST/020 earliest beginning 88 (this means in the real world
>                christmas 88)

  Well, that's not a fair comment.  At this point _we_ don't know when it
will be ready (if we did, we'd tell you), so how can you make a definitive
statement about when a machine would be ready?  (And didn't you guys get
the ST before we here in the US did?  mumble, mumble, mumble... <grin>).

>              - Blitter upgrades late this year

  Again, this may or may not turn out to be the case.  As _soon_ as we have
them, we'll get them out the door--and right now, our ability to get them
out the door rests with a third party over whom we have no control.

>              - Date for the MS-DOS emulator...who knows...

  We're working on it, I promise!

>    - I don't think Amigas are that wonderful, typically for use in a
>      office by a none Hacker, they are absolutly hopeless (not much
>      better than raw MS-DOS). On the other hand you can't bomb the
>      machine with a '_'!

  True--but I personally find that a fairly minor bug.  And on the other hand,
the Amiga's the only machine I know that you can crash by following the
boot disc directions exactly!  (I've done this a _bunch_... <grin>)

--alex @ Atari

BIX:alexl.            GEnie: ALEXLEAVENS      AtariCorp: 408-745-2006

"How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all."

hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU.UUCP (03/12/87)

In article <642@atari.UUCP> leavens@atari.UUCP (Alex Leavens) writes:
>  True--but I personally find that a fairly minor bug.  And on the other hand,
>the Amiga's the only machine I know that you can crash by following the
>boot disc directions exactly!  (I've done this a _bunch_... <grin>)

It's bad karma to start religious wars. Also, the ST is a good enough
machine that it hurts more than helps for people to take cheap shots like
this rather than simply pointing out what you like about the ST. It sounds
petty.

But what are you talking about? I've never heard of anything like
this. Did you find a copy of the boot directions with a dumb typo
or something?
	Doug

leavens@atari.UUCP (03/14/87)

in article <8703121153.AA09496@ingres.Berkeley.EDU>, hatcher@INGRES.BERKELEY.EDU (Doug Merritt) says:

> It's bad karma to start religious wars. Also, the ST is a good enough
> machine that it hurts more than helps for people to take cheap shots like
> this rather than simply pointing out what you like about the ST. It sounds
> petty.

> But what are you talking about? I've never heard of anything like
> this. Did you find a copy of the boot directions with a dumb typo
> or something?

  Well, I'm not trying to start a religious war at all--just pointing out
that there are problems with every machine.  Anyway, here's the story.

  I was at Jerry Pournelle's house, and he had a piece of Amiga software
that he wanted to show me, told me it looked really great.  "Fine", says
I, "let's see it.".

  Take out disc, and follow instructions on disc as to how to boot.
No go.  "Guru mediation error".

  Ok, fine.  Get out the manual.  Try _those_ booting instructions.  (THey
turn out to be slightly different).  Again, no go.

  Ok, let's just try a standard Amiga boot, and then...

  Well, after about 20 minutes of this, we finally gave up.  the silly thing
simply would _not_ boot.  So we left it alone with the disc in the drive, and
went over to the ST.  About 20 minutes after _that_, I happened to look
back at the Amiga, and--you guessed it--the program had booted itself.

  I've had a couple more experiences like this, and they lead me to believe
that it must be me--the Amiga and I just don't get along... <grin>