[comp.sys.atari.st] Batteries Included bought out.

silvert@dalcs.UUCP (03/02/87)

I've just heard from a reliable source (my dealer) that on Friday
Batteries Included was bought out by Electronic Arts.  The staff is
uncertain what this means.  I don't know what it means.  What happens to
Tom Hudson?  No more programs like Degas (maybe no more programs like
I*S Talk on the other hand)?  Copy protection?  Another Canadian firm
sold out south of the border?  Will PaperClip Elite ever arrive?  What
will Simon Poole say?
--
Bill Silvert
Marine Ecology Laboratory, Dartmouth, NS, Canada

lbl@druhi.UUCP (03/12/87)

In article <2424@dalcs.UUCP>, silvert@dalcs.UUCP writes:
> I've just heard from a reliable source (my dealer) that on Friday
> Batteries Included was bought out by Electronic Arts.  The staff is
> uncertain what this means.  I don't know what it means.  What happens to
> Tom Hudson?  No more programs like Degas (maybe no more programs like
> I*S Talk on the other hand)?  Copy protection?  Another Canadian firm
> sold out south of the border?  Will PaperClip Elite ever arrive?  What
> will Simon Poole say?
> --
> Bill Silvert
> Marine Ecology Laboratory, Dartmouth, NS, Canada
> CDN or BITNET: silvert@cs.dal.cdn	-- UUCP: ..!{seismo|utai}!dalcs!silvert
> ARPA: silvert%dalcs.uucp@seismo.CSS.GOV	-- CSNET: silvert%cs.dal.cdn@ubc.csnet

Somehow, I wouldn't put too much faith in this rumor.  Batteries just
merged with Integral Solutions a few months ago... Maybe this is what
your dealer was talking about?  Hopefully he was just confused.

In any case, if I am wrong and EA did buy BI, then EA would be pretty
dumb if they didn't keep distributing Tom's programs -- they certainly
made quite a bit of money for BI!

Anyway, Dan Moore assures me that as soon as he can find a way to get
around a couple of minor bugs that he found in GDOS, that PaperClip Elite
will be here.  I'm sure that if EA bought BI and for some reason they
don't want to distribute PaperClip Elite, then Dan could find someone
who would do it.  After all, that program is almost certain to be a
commercial success!

Barry Locklear

leavens@atari.UUCP (03/14/87)

in article <1753@druhi.UUCP>, lbl@druhi.UUCP (LocklearLB) says:

> In article <2424@dalcs.UUCP>, silvert@dalcs.UUCP writes:

> In any case, if I am wrong and EA did buy BI, then EA would be pretty
> dumb if they didn't keep distributing Tom's programs -- they certainly
> made quite a bit of money for BI!

  Electronic Arts did in fact just buy Batteries Included.
  NO word yet on what this means for us Atari owners.

--alex @ Atari

BIX:alexl.            GEnie: ALEXLEAVENS      AtariCorp: 408-745-2006

"How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all."

jafischer@watrose.UUCP (03/16/87)

>> In any case, if I am wrong and EA did buy BI, then EA would be pretty
>> dumb if they didn't keep distributing Tom's programs -- they certainly
>> made quite a bit of money for BI!
>>
>  Electronic Arts did in fact just buy Batteries Included.
>  NO word yet on what this means for us Atari owners.

	The word from Bruce @ Atari Canada is that EA will be supporting
current BI products (e.g., Degas, Isgur Portfolio, etc.), and dropping
products that were still under development (e.g., PaperClip Elite).
Can somebody correct this?  I'm hoping that Bruce (Atari rep) is just
trying to drop some bad hints about products in competition with MS Write.
Not that Bruce is necessarily that kind of guy, I don't really know him.
--
		- Jonathan Fischer   (jafischer@watrose.UUCP)
	    	or ...watmath!watrose!jafischer