[comp.sys.atari.st] twister.prg ???

moore@NCSC.ARPA.UUCP (03/11/87)

Does TWISTER.PRG, published in this quarter's STart, work?  [Background: the
program formats floppies such that each track has its sector numbers offset
by two from the previous track, so that double reads of a single track caused
by seek and settle times are eliminated].  It sure sounds like it should work,
but I don't notice any difference at all!

I "twisted" one disk and formatted (extended) another, then copied the same
files (about 220K) to each; then I copied each to an extended formatted disk.
The results, plus or minus any irregularities caused by my timing method (a
Casio stopwatch), are identical.

The extended formatting program, from one of the magazines, sticks an extra
sector (up to 10 from 9) on each track, as does TWISTER; but it doesn't do
anything with the sectors.

Any help, as always, is appreciated.  One quick note:  throughout the article,
Dave Small (he and Dan Moore wrote the programs) refers to TWISTER with a TOS
extension, while the disk has a squeezed PRG file.

Thanks.

Jim
Moore@NCSC.arpa

sansom@trwrb.UUCP (03/12/87)

In article <8703102314.AA10864@ncsc.ARPA> moore@NCSC.ARPA (Moore) writes:
>Does TWISTER.PRG, published in this quarter's STart, work?

I've had no problems at all with TWISTER (nice work Dave).  I'm  gonna add
82 track formatting this weekend.

-Rich

--
  //////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
 /// Richard E. Sansom                    TRW Electronics & Defense Sector \\\

john@viper.UUCP (John Stanley) (03/17/87)

In article <8703102314.AA10864@ncsc.ARPA> moore@NCSC.ARPA (Moore) writes:

 >Does TWISTER.PRG, published in this quarter's STart, work?  [Background: the
 >program formats floppies such that each track has its sector numbers offset
 >by two from the previous track, so that double reads of a single track caused
 >by seek and settle times are eliminated].  It sure sounds like it should work,
 >but I don't notice any difference at all!

Jim, from my understanding, the advantages from Twister formatted disks
comes when copying large files.  When you copy many smaller files, the
head must interrupt it's Twister enhanced read/write, go to the track
and sector where the directory is held, do some processing, and then
move back to the place where it was in the Twister sequence.  This
destroys the timing.  Also if you have lots of smaller files spread
across several tracks/sectors where there are gaps, thi will also'
cause timing problems.

To best see the difference copy a large** file to a twister disk and
another disk.  Then try reading/copying that file with any program
that can copy/read the file at a -very- high rate.  The twister disk
will read so fast you won't beleive it...

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john