[comp.sys.atari.st] Hacking at Megamax C

braner@batcomputer.UUCP (03/14/87)

[]

Before I invest time into it:  Has anybody found a way to minimize the
extra junk Megamax C adds to simple programs (about 1500 byte worth)?
I _guess_ that much of it can be dispensed with for programs that do NOT
use stdio, I/O redirection, etc...

Also: has anybody made an alternative printf/scanf that skips the FP stuff
(to make it smaller). Has anybody bought the Megamax library source code
(offered for $50)? Is it worth it?

These sorts of optimizations-by-the-users have been done on the DRI/Alcyon
compiler.  Why not for Megamax?

- Moshe Braner

PS: does anybody know whether the Megamax Resource Construction program
will work with OSS Personal Pascal?  Is the .RSC file format standard?
How would you get the Pascal .I file?  Is it easy to translate the C .h
file to the .I form?

long@sask.UUCP (Warren Long) (03/18/87)

In article <425@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) writes:
> Also: has anybody made an alternative printf/scanf that skips the FP stuff
> (to make it smaller). Has anybody bought the Megamax library source code
> (offered for $50)? Is it worth it?
>
> These sorts of optimizations-by-the-users have been done on the DRI/Alcyon
> compiler.  Why not for Megamax?
>
> - Moshe Braner
>
> PS: does anybody know whether the Megamax Resource Construction program
> will work with OSS Personal Pascal?  Is the .RSC file format standard?
> How would you get the Pascal .I file?  Is it easy to translate the C .h
> file to the .I form?

The resource files are all the exact same format.  However, if you load
a RSC file into the editor without the extra info files, you will have
to add in all the names and types of dialog boxes yourself.  Then when
saving it, it will create a new file.  (the info file is .DEF for
Megamax Resource construction set and .DFN for the developer's kit).
It makes it awkward to switch from one to the other, but at least you
don't have to start from scratch.

Back to the topic at hand...  Has Megamax changed the 32K code limit
yet???  My program is pushing that limit (31986 or something), and I
have lost any desire to add new features, so I don't go over the edge.

Warren

--
=-=-=-=-=-Warren Long at University of Saskatchewan, Canada-=-=-=-=-
Home: 78 Carleton Dr.,Saskatoon, Sasakatchewan, S7H 3N6