[comp.sys.atari.st] 520 in Canada

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (03/13/87)

Just an observation :
	On a recent trip to Vancouver, BC I dropped by a store
that was selling Atari ST (i think it was A&B Sound in the downtown
area).  They were selling a very odd creature :

	A 1040 ST Package *marked* 520 ST on the exterior.
	It came with a single sided internal drive and monitor.

	The salesmen claimed that Atari 520 ST had sold
	out and as a fix...Atari had come up with the
	above solution.

	I was fascinated.  Is this some future migration...?
	it makes sense to me.

lorraine@batcomputer.UUCP (03/14/87)

The object that looks like a 1040 but is marked 520 is a 520stfm.  This is,
according to a store in Toronto, a 520 with an integral ssdd drive and rf
modulator.  It looks like a very nice object for those considering a 520
(although I would have preferred a double sided drive inside).  The store
owner did not describe this as a replacement for the 520.  He presumed it
wasn't sold in the USA because of FCC rules.  The object is definitely a
520 with 512K ram and an rf-modulator.  By the way, could someone tell
me a source for unix windows for the st and what sort of windows the most recent
version supports?
     Thank you.
                         peter lorraine (lorraine@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu)

jafischer@watrose.UUCP (03/16/87)

>	A 1040 ST Package *marked* 520 ST on the exterior.
>	It came with a single sided internal drive and monitor.
	This is the packaging that all 520's have been sold in for a couple of
months now, in Canada.  As far as is obvious to the eye, it contains a 1040
motherboard with only one row of 256K chips instead of two... yes, someone
told me that to upgrade to 1 Meg it IS as simple as plugging in the second
row of chips.  Still a lot of soldering, but much simpler than the old piggy
back method.
	The other difference is that it contains the RF modulator.  The only
problem with this packaging is that it forces the buyer to be stuck with a
single sided drive.  Of course you can always buy a second DS drive, but
I've found that mixing a SS and DS drive doesn't make much sense.  I had
such a configuration once, and all my disks eventually migrated over to
DS, and I sold my SS drive.
	Canada is one of Atari's test markets, and that is why we usually see
such products before the much larger US market.  The 1040 was in Canada about
2 months before its introduction in the states, if I remember correctly.
	Gee, I wonder if that means we'll get the Megas first...
--
		- Jonathan Fischer   (jafischer@watrose.UUCP)
	    	or ...watmath!watrose!jafischer

pes@bath63.UUCP (03/16/87)

Sounds like the thingie (popular over here) which a lot of the dealers sell
as a '520ST+' -- as far as I know, it's a standard Atari 520ST which they've
then brought up to 1 Meg using a third party upgrade.  They seem to be very
popular, particularly if you need a modulator and want a Meg.  (I don't know
if 1040's with modulators exist elsewhere in the world, but they don't seem
to in the UK.

MCOHAN@UMASS.BITNET (Michael Cohan, U of Mass/Amherst) (03/19/87)

fluke!ssc-vax!benoni@BEAVER.CS.WASHINGTON.EDU  (Charles L Ditzel) writes:
>     On a recent trip to Vancouver, BC I dropped by a store
> that was selling Atari ST (i think it was A&B Sound in the downtown
> area).  They were selling a very odd creature :
>
>     A 1040 ST Package *marked* 520 ST on the exterior.
>     It came with a single sided internal drive and monitor.
''>    I was fascinated.  Is this some future migration...?
>    it makes sense to me.

According to our Atari representative (Al Rizzo), the version of
the 520ST you saw is the way the future 520's will be packaged.
They will be packaged like 1040's, but be 512K and single sided
drive.  He said that Atari would sell out their current stock
of 520ST's (original packaging), and then sell the new 520's from
now on.

Michael P. Cohan    MCOHAN@UMass.BITNET   MIKECOHAN on Delphi
               Amherst, MA  01002  (413) 253-7782
               "Authorized Atari Sales and Service"