[comp.sys.atari.st] Flaming Atari....

K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET (03/16/87)

Alex, I don't think I was being unfair to Atari (I suppose you didn't see
the original article which I wrote)....I'm pretty sure that you'll aggree
that the 68020 will not be coming out this year unless Atari puts a BIG
effort behind it. In the original article my major complaint was that Atari
is on the brink of loosing a piece of market that it could of had (hi end
68'000 market) and which will now be taken by other machines (Amiga 2000,
Mac II).
   BTW the '_' bug is VERY serious, people like you and me just
shrug their shoulders when they stumble on a bug like that and just don't
use underscores in paths anymore, but I've seen and heard from a number
of casual users which got a nasty shock from this bug (ever lost a 10 page
doc just thru pressing '_'?). Anyway I wish to thank you, Neil and Landon
for reading this group and taking the trouble to answer so many letters.

                               Simon
                               K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET

For AMIGA fans:
    I did not intend to start another 'my machine is better than yours'
    battle, I just wanted to point out that the Atari User Interface is
    generally simpler to use than the Amiga's (and the Mac's) and would
    be better for use in an office (if there were less bugs).
      Example: just the possibility that you can insert a disk full of
               files, but without Icon definitions and get an empty
               window (for the simple minded under us = empty disk),
               would probably cause havoc in an normal office
               environment.

leavens@atari.UUCP (Alex Leavens) (03/17/87)

>    BTW the '_' bug is VERY serious, people like you and me just
> shrug their shoulders when they stumble on a bug like that and just don't
> use underscores in paths anymore, but I've seen and heard from a number
> of casual users which got a nasty shock from this bug (ever lost a 10 page
> doc just thru pressing '_'?).

  Ya know, it's funny, but just after I posted my message back to you,
I hosed myself with the underscore bug.  Sigh.  Just goes to show ya--
'Programmer Infallability.'  <Big Grin>

--alex @ Atari

BIX:alexl.            GEnie: ALEXLEAVENS      AtariCorp: 408-745-2006

"How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all."

wheels@mks.UUCP (03/19/87)

In article <671@atari.UUCP>, leavens@atari.UUCP (Alex Leavens) writes:

>   Ya know, it's funny, but just after I posted my message back to you,
> I hosed myself with the underscore bug.  Sigh.  Just goes to show ya--
> 'Programmer Infallability.'  <Big Grin>

Maybe I'm behind, here. I've seen several references to this, but no
explanation of what it is. Would you mind detailing how one goes about
getting hosed, please?
--
Gerry Wheeler                  {seismo,decvax,ihnp4}!watmath!mks!wheels
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.