[comp.sys.atari.st] Extension boards for the new Mega Ataris

ZRFA1@DS0RUS51.BITNET (03/17/87)

In an interview with a german magazine Shiraz Shivij said
that Atari has finished the development of a board with the
68881 on it. Does somebody (Neil) know when this board will
be available, and which languages are going to support it.
On the hannover fair i asked somebody of Prospero, an english
company which has a good fortran compiler for the Atari. They
didn't even know, that Atari has developed that board.
In german Atari advertisements the board is allready cited.

In the same interview Shiraz Shivij said that they have a
LAN-board for lokal area networking in a Vax environement.
Does somebody know wether TCP/IP, Decnet or something else
is used.
It would also be nice to be able to combine the to boards in
one machine. Are there any more boards planned?

                                Ulrich Lang (ZRFA1@DS0RUS1I)

stefan@wheaton.UUCP (Stefan Brandle) (03/18/87)

I too would be exited to hear about any LAN, etc. boards.  Availability (or
non-availability) of such boards could decided issue in terms of whether my
school goes Amiga 2000 or Atari ST on a new lab.
Stefan Brandle                                 UUCP:  ihnp4!wheaton!stefan
Wheaton College                                "But I never claimed to be sane!"
---------------------------------------------- MA Bell: (312) 260-4992 ---------

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) (03/18/87)

[]

The only way the 68881 performance can be fully utilized is to couple
it to a 68020 CPU.  (A number I've heard for the Mac II (16 MHz):
150,000 FLOPS.)  With a 68000 the 68881 can only be used as a peripheral,
reducing the speed by a factor of 3 or so.

I sure hope there will be a 68020/68881 card for the MegaST, since the TT
seems a long way off.  If Atari will not make one, a third party should!

- Moshe Braner

john@viper.UUCP (03/21/87)

In article <442@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> braner@batcomputer.UUCP writes:

 >I sure hope there will be a 68020/68881 card for the MegaST, since the TT
 >seems a long way off.  If Atari will not make one, a third party should!
 >
 >- Moshe Braner

Agreed!

So when is the Branner Microsystems 68020 expansion board going to be
available? :)  I, for one, would probably buy it sight unseen...

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john