[comp.sys.atari.st] Adding another Hard Drive??

cabbie@chinet.UUCP (03/11/87)

I dove into a Atari hard drive last night and started with my usual play
tactics.  It seems that the Adaptek controller will support 2 hard disk
drives.  The current software does not want to see the second drive.
(No, I didn't really expect it to.) (:>)  Is there a patch that I can do
to the handler to enable the second drive?  Neil?? Alex??  It would be neat
to add a second drive and power supply and have more storage!

Any opinions expressed above are my own.        Rich Andrews
 They can be yours too.  Please send $19.95 to.....ihnp4!chinet!cabbie

turner@imagen.UUCP (03/13/87)

in article <901@chinet.UUCP>, cabbie@chinet.UUCP (Richard Andrews) says:
+---------------------------------------------------------
+
+
+ I dove into a Atari hard drive last night and started with my usual play
+ tactics.  It seems that the Adaptek controller will support 2 hard disk
+ drives.  The current software does not want to see the second drive.
+ (No, I didn't really expect it to.) (:>)  Is there a patch that I can do
+ to the handler to enable the second drive?  Neil?? Alex??  It would be neat
+ to add a second drive and power supply and have more storage!
+
+
+ --
+---------------------------------------------------------
i have a BMS (Berekely MicroSystems) driver and it supports 2 drives
(in my case a 10 and a 20Mbyte). I believe the driver will run
without their board. Their number is:

(415) 530-3436

there is an extensive article on the BMS system in the current copy
of STapplications

I am in no way associated etc......

--
---------------
C'est la vie, C'est la guerre, C'est la pomme de terre

leavens@atari.UUCP (03/14/87)

in article <901@chinet.UUCP>, cabbie@chinet.UUCP (Richard Andrews) says:

> I dove into a Atari hard drive last night and started with my usual play
> tactics.  It seems that the Adaptek controller will support 2 hard disk
> drives.  The current software does not want to see the second drive.
> (No, I didn't really expect it to.) (:>)  Is there a patch that I can do
> to the handler to enable the second drive?  Neil?? Alex??  It would be neat
> to add a second drive and power supply and have more storage!

  If you've got a production drive, I think there's a switch on the
Atari controller board that allows you to set what logical unit the
drive is.  Just change that, and...

--alex @ Atari

BIX:alexl.            GEnie: ALEXLEAVENS      AtariCorp: 408-745-2006

"How can you be in two places at once when you're not anywhere at all."

dyer@atari.UUCP (03/14/87)

> in article <901@chinet.UUCP>, cabbie@chinet.UUCP (Richard Andrews) says:
>> I dove into a Atari hard drive last night and started with my usual play
>> tactics.  It seems that the Adaptek controller will support 2 hard disk
>> drives.  The current software does not want to see the second drive.
>> (No, I didn't really expect it to.) (:>)  Is there a patch that I can do
>> to the handler to enable the second drive?  Neil?? Alex??  It would be neat
>> to add a second drive and power supply and have more storage!
>>
>   If you've got a production drive, I think there's a switch on the
> Atari controller board that allows you to set what logical unit the
> drive is.  Just change that, and...

Sorry, Alex --- that doesn't help.  ->ooof!<-  [I just kicked his shins:]

The Adaptec controller will indeed support more than one drive.
The current AHDI.PRG hard disk driver does not support more than
one drive per controller.  And naturally, Atari does not
encourage or condone such modifications to the hardware....

--
-Landon Dyer, Atari Corp.	    {sun,lll-lcc,imagen}!atari!dyer

The views expressed here do not not
necessarily reflect those of Atari Corp.	Segments are for worms.

turner@imagen.UUCP (03/14/87)

in article <657@atari.UUCP>, leavens@atari.UUCP (Alex Leavens) says:
+---------------------------------------------------------
+
+ in article <901@chinet.UUCP>, cabbie@chinet.UUCP (Richard Andrews) says:
++
++
++ I dove into a Atari hard drive last night and started with my usual play
++ tactics.  It seems that the Adaptek controller will support 2 hard disk
++ drives.  The current software does not want to see the second drive.
++ (No, I didn't really expect it to.) (:>)  Is there a patch that I can do
++ to the handler to enable the second drive?  Neil?? Alex??  It would be neat
++ to add a second drive and power supply and have more storage!
++
+   If you've got a production drive, I think there's a switch on the
+ Atari controller board that allows you to set what logical unit the
+ drive is.  Just change that, and...

it bloody well won't work. listen if you are going to speak as an
atari representive you have a responsiblity to know what you're
talking about....

atari does not do drive selection properly, instead the drive number
is stored as the high order bit of each SCSI command, hence a
special driver is needed before you can use two drives, not to
mention the fact that the formatter etc. doesn't know about a second
drive. If you want to see how it's done I suggest the current copy
of STapplications, there's a good article by Tom Love on a two drive
system.

+
+ --alex @ Atari
+

chapman@fornax.UUCP (03/15/87)

> I dove into a Atari hard drive last night and started with my usual play
> tactics.  It seems that the Adaptek controller will support 2 hard disk
> drives.  The current software does not want to see the second drive.
> (No, I didn't really expect it to.) (:>)  Is there a patch that I can do
> to the handler to enable the second drive?  Neil?? Alex??  It would be neat
> to add a second drive and power supply and have more storage!

The Berkeley Microsystems (Beckemeyer) board set and software supports
two drives. Since they use the same interface and scsi controller as
Atari I would guess that their driver would let you have two drives on
your Atari system.

> --

dclemans@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Dave Clemans) (03/16/87)

The latest hard disk driver from Supra (version 2.61) fully supports
both multiple physical drives and will let you write a boot sector
out to the drive (to drive 0, if you have multiple drives).  This
will even let you run your system without floppies if you desire.

What they do is to put a file "supboot.sys" (marked hidden so that it
doesn't show up in normal directory listings) onto the root of drive C.
Supboot.sys is the full driver; the simple driver in the boot sector
just knows how to load that file.

To get around the previously mentioned problems with booting directly
from a hard disk (i.e., what to do if there are broken auto folder
programs or broken desk accessories, etc.) the Supra boot sector
checks for the control, shift and alternate keys to see if they all
are down; if so, it doesn't try to boot from the hard disk, which
lets you try to fix the situation using floppies.

dgc

leavens@atari.UUCP (03/17/87)

>>> I dove into a Atari hard drive last night and started with my usual play
>>> tactics.  It seems that the Adaptek controller will support 2 hard disk
>>> drives.  The current software does not want to see the second drive.
>>> (No, I didn't really expect it to.) (:>)  Is there a patch that I can do
>>> to the handler to enable the second drive?  Neil?? Alex??  It would be neat
>>> to add a second drive and power supply and have more storage!
>>>
>>   If you've got a production drive, I think there's a switch on the
>> Atari controller board that allows you to set what logical unit the
>> drive is.  Just change that, and...
>
> Sorry, Alex --- that doesn't help.  ->ooof!<-  [I just kicked his shins:]
>
> The Adaptec controller will indeed support more than one drive.
> The current AHDI.PRG hard disk driver does not support more than
> one drive per controller.  And naturally, Atari does not
> encourage or condone such modifications to the hardware....

  Yep, I goofed.  What I was trying to say is that you can certainly use
more than one SH204 on your system, and that you have to do a little bit
of switch flipping to do so.

  Ow!  My shin's still hurting from the _last_ time you kicked me...
<grin>

john@viper.UUCP (John Stanley) (03/17/87)

In article <659@atari.UUCP> dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer) writes:

 >The Adaptec controller will indeed support more than one drive.
 >The current AHDI.PRG hard disk driver does not support more than
 >one drive per controller.  And naturally, Atari does not
 >encourage or condone such modifications to the hardware....

Well, I suppose that's suppost to be helpful??

People are asking serious questions about how to expand their storage
and all you can say is "Atari doesn't encourage it...."?

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john

weber_w@apollo.uucp (Walt Weber) (03/17/87)

In article <659@atari.UUCP> dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer) writes:
>> in article <901@chinet.UUCP>, cabbie@chinet.UUCP (Richard Andrews) says:
>>> ............................................Is there a patch that I can do
>>> to the handler to enable the second drive? ..............................
>>>
>The Adaptec controller will indeed support more than one drive.
>The current AHDI.PRG hard disk driver does not support more than
>one drive per controller.

The Berkley MicroSystems hard disk driver supports the capability.  I am presently
running two Maxtor 1065's off of an Adaptec, and it works quite nicely, thank you.

That gives my li'l ol' 520  8 partitions of approx. 14Mb each.  I'm now backing up
from one hard drive to the other, and my floppies are FINALLY getting a chance to
rest.   The backup procedure is not straightforward, however (Carefully straddling
the 40-folder limit with your source foot and destination ...... :-).

In addition, when you deal with BMS, you also get a clock on the controller, which
eliminates all problems with cartridge-mounted clocks or piggybacked KBD chips, etc.

--
Walt Weber               PHONE: (617) 256-6600 x7004
Apollo Computer          GENIE: W.WEBER

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (03/18/87)

in article <685@viper.UUCP>, john@viper.UUCP (John Stanley) says:
+---------------------------------------------------------
+
+ In article <659@atari.UUCP> dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer) writes:
+  >
+  >one drive per controller.  And naturally, Atari does not
+  >encourage or condone such modifications to the hardware....
+  >
+
+ Well, I suppose that's suppost to be helpful??
+
+ People are asking serious questions about how to expand their storage
+ and all you can say is "Atari doesn't encourage it...."?
one more time... this time with your brain engaged. I have never
seen, nor do i think that i will ever see, a company that encourages
users to open up their hardware and hack away at it. The legal
ramifications are that if the company in any way, shape, or form
condones such behavior then they are liable for any damage done by
the user.

Can you say "tongue in cheek" ? Landon can...

i think i'm getting crotchity in my old age

--
---------------

john@viper.UUCP (John Stanley) (03/18/87)

In article <1000@imagen.UUCP> turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) writes:
 >in article <685@viper.UUCP>, john@viper.UUCP (John Stanley) says:
 >+ In article <659@atari.UUCP> dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer) writes:
 >+  >one drive per controller.  And naturally, Atari does not
 >+  >encourage or condone such modifications to the hardware....
 >+
 >+ Well, I suppose that's suppost to be helpful??
 >+
 >+ People are asking serious questions about how to expand their storage
 >+ and all you can say is "Atari doesn't encourage it...."?
 >
 >............    I have never
 >seen, nor do i think that i will ever see, a company that encourages
 >users to open up their hardware and hack away at it. The legal
 >ramifications are that if the company in any way, shape, or form
 >condones such behavior then they are liable for any damage done by
 >the user.

The user who asked the original question was trying to get some advice
on how to get two or more H-disks up and running on a single ST.  He did
ask about the possibility of hacking-onto an existing Atari or Supra
(don't remember which) drive, but that wasn't the main point...  He
needs more disk space.  All Landon's response said was (essentialy)
"Atari isn't about to encourage that kind of thing...".  I think my
response to Landon chiding him for not making any -constructive-
suggestions was proper under the circumstances...

I think you're over reacting to my message which essentialy says:
"Come on, you can do better than that."  I'm sure ways exist to get
multiple hard drives up on an ST.  I'm equaly sure that such setups
are not foreign to Landon/Neil or any of the other kind Atari people
who frequent this group.  I have no problems with the "standard
company disclaimer against unsupported HW mods".  I think he could
have gone on after giving it to tell the poor guy something that
would help instead of just leaving him high and dry...

---

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (03/19/87)

In article <975@imagen.UUCP>, turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) writes:

> it bloody well won't work. listen if you are going to speak as an
> atari representive you have a responsiblity to know what you're
> talking about....

If that is a qualification for the position, I guess I'd better resign.  :-)

In all seriousness, it looks to me like Alex read the question too fast,
thinking that the question had to do with the internal dip switches on an
Atari hard disk.  Landon not only answered the question properly, but
administered the prescribed kick in the shins.

--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) (03/19/87)

In article <1000@imagen.UUCP>, turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) writes:

> i think i'm getting crotchity in my old age
                      ^^^^^^^^^
that should be crotchety.  Hah!  Caught YOU making a mistake this time.  So
there.

Really James, lighten up.

--

leavens@atari.UUCP (03/20/87)

in article <694@viper.UUCP>, john@viper.UUCP (John Stanley) says:

> In article <1000@imagen.UUCP> turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) writes:
>  >in article <685@viper.UUCP>, john@viper.UUCP (John Stanley) says:
>  >+ In article <659@atari.UUCP> dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer) writes:
>  >+  >one drive per controller.  And naturally, Atari does not
>  >+  >encourage or condone such modifications to the hardware....
>  >+
>  >+ Well, I suppose that's suppost to be helpful??
>  >+
>  >+ People are asking serious questions about how to expand their storage
>  >+ and all you can say is "Atari doesn't encourage it...."?

>  >............    I have never
>  >seen, nor do i think that i will ever see, a company that encourages
>  >ramifications are that if the company in any way, shape, or form
>  >condones such behavior then they are liable for any damage done by
>  >the user.

> The user who asked the original question was trying to get some advice
> on how to get two or more H-disks up and running on a single ST.  He did
> ask about the possibility of hacking-onto an existing Atari or Supra
> (don't remember which) drive, but that wasn't the main point...  He
> needs more disk space.

  You can, indeed, hook up more than one SH204 to an Atari ST, but it's a
pain.  You'll have to make your own hydra headed cable (two hard drive
cables into one), that's the hard part.  The easy part is opening up your
second drive and flipping the drive unit select switch that's on the
board right next to the DMA plug.  Flip the switch to indicate that
it's drive 1, and not drive 0.  Then hook up both drives, and if you've
wired your cable right, you're done.

  A caveat, however--if you have an early ST, the DMA chip in the ST may
have trouble driving the loads of two SH204's.  This is why we don't
particularly recommend this option.

--
--alex @ Atari				  {sun,lll-lcc,imagen}!atari!dyer
BIX: alexl.          GEnie:ALEXLEAVENS    AtariCorp:(408)-745-2006

"Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers."

john@viper.UUCP (03/21/87)

In article <679@atari.UUCP> leavens@atari.UUCP (Alex Leavens) writes:

 >  You can, indeed, hook up more than one SH204 to an Atari ST, but it's a
 >pain.  You'll have to make your own hydra headed cable (two hard drive
 >cables into one), that's the hard part.  The easy part is opening up your
 >second drive and flipping the drive unit select switch that's on the
 >board right next to the DMA plug.  Flip the switch to indicate that
 >it's drive 1, and not drive 0.  Then hook up both drives, and if you've
 >wired your cable right, you're done.
 >
 >  A caveat, however--if you have an early ST, the DMA chip in the ST may
 >have trouble driving the loads of two SH204's.  This is why we don't
 >particularly recommend this option.

Bravo!  This is exactly the kind of answer I appreceate!  Thank you Alex.

One minor point...  What has to be done (if anything) to the HD driver
on the ST (or the other utilities for that matter) to get them to
realize there's additional disk space out there?

Also, is it possible to do this with an Atari HD and a Supra and then
which HD driver would one use?  (Not holding my breath on this one, I
mainly curious about just how compatable the Supra and Atari hard
disks are...  I own a Supra and it would be nice if I wanted to expand
if I could buy an Atari HD if I wanted to...)

 >"Don't crush that dwarf, hand me the pliers."

(chuckle!)

---