[comp.sys.atari.st] How big is displayed screen on Atare SM124?

jcs@odyssey.UUCP (03/21/87)

I just bought an Atari SM124 monochrome monitor for the 1040 ST
and am a little disappointed by the size of the displayed screen area.
The physical screen is 6 7/8" by 9 1/2" but on my monitor the actual
displayed image is 4 7/8" by 8 1/16".
The vertical distance seems a little small.
Could anyone tell me if this is standard or if my monitor needs adjustment;
if so, are there adjustment controls inside the box?
Thanks,
logical:	John C. Schwebel
physical:	HR2F030
			AT&T Bell Labs
			480 Red Hill Rd.
			Middletown, NJ 07748
voice:		(201)615-4782
electronic:	odyssey!jcs

bruce@ektools.UUCP (03/22/87)

In article <162@odyssey.UUCP> jcs@odyssey.UUCP (j.c.schwebel) writes:
>I just bought an Atari SM124 monochrome monitor for the 1040 ST
>and am a little disappointed by the size of the displayed screen area.
> .... are there adjustment controls inside the box?

The reason given by Atari for the small image size is to maintain linearity
of the screen image. Several articles have been published giving instructions
on how to enlarge the image. On my screen, the very bottom line has a
definite curve, but the larger image is nice. I guess it comes down to the
choice between perfectly square pixels or less eyestrain.

Bruce D. Nelson, Sr. Appl. Analyst: Software Maintenance, Production Systems
EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY, 901 Elmgrove Rd., Rochester, NY 14650, 716 726-7890
UUCP:   {allegra, seismo}!rochester!kodak!ektools!bruce
ARPA:   kodak!ektools!bruce@rochester.ARPA