[comp.sys.atari.st] Mail order firms and Mark Williams C

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (03/28/87)

In article <1729@trwrb.UUCP> gibson@trwrb.UUCP (Gregory S. Gibson) writes:

>BTW, I believe a buyer can negoiate a better price if he pays COD with a
>Cashier's Check.  That is because seller's must pay a credit card surcharge
>that is past on to the buyer.

I'm not entirely sure I buy this argument. It was the case a few years ago
that mail order firms would tack on a 3% charge for VISA/MASTERCARD, but
that seems to have vanished nowadays (a merchant depositing credit card
payments loses from 2%-4% as a discount, depending on the volume and the
financial institution, but most mail order houses seem to have absorbed that
as a general cost of doing business). On the other hand, money orders and
certified/cashier's cheques are somewhat risky to send via mail, as a third
party could intercept them and deposit them. Further, you then have a
considerable delay between the time you actually purchase the money order
and the time it is actually received by the vendor.

On to some good news: I ordered a copy of Mark Williams C from MicroTyme,
of Kettering, Ohio, on March 7. MWC lists for US$179, but their price was
US$119. When it hadn't arrived two weeks later, I called them, and they said
that they had just shipped it. It arrived earlier this week (via Canada
Post, in only 4 days!). Once I unpacked it, I discovered a set of release
notes dated March 4 of this year. I don't believe I've ever received a piece
of production software this soon after its completion.

MWC really does look like an astonishing buy. The new version is really
inexpensive; it includes a shell which is compatible with neither the
C-shell nor the Bourne Shell, but is certainly quite powerful, a crummy
implementation of Micro-Emacs (I'm using 3.7i with it now, and am about to
compile 3.8b), all the utilities one could ever ask for, and a Version 7
style debugger named db. The compiler is reasonably fast (though not
blazing).

Documentation is relentlessly complete, covering not only the software
provided, but also GEM and TOS. Unfortunately, it is ordered in a
dictionary-style manner which groups the dayspermonth subroutine, the db
command, and the Dcreate system call adjacently. You have to know what
you're looking for before you start, but you will find it there.

There's also an incredibly nice ramdisk (which has now displaced Eternal2
which has displaced Eternal which has displaced RMD650, and so it goes),
which lets you load files into your ramdisk, and then save the disk as an
executable file in your auto folder. Voila! You do a cold boot and the disk
is automatically loaded quite quickly; if on the other hand you've made the
ramdisk bootable, you can press the reset button and, moments later, you're
back with all your files intact.

They claim you can use it on a 520ST with one single-sided drive. Maybe so,
but I wouldn't recommend it. I've configured the compiler, editor, and
shell, along with a very few utilities and a \TMP directory, in the 500K
ramdisk, and most (but not quite all) of the other commands filling up a DS
disk which I leave in B:. That leaves me a source/object disk. A hard disk
would of course be nicer.

All in all, highly recommended.

Disclaimer: I have no connection with Mark Williams Company, MicroTyme, or
Atari, not to mention the Catholic Church, Amway, or the Prawn Fanciers of
British Columbia.

-----
Vincent Manis                {seismo,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!manis
Dept. of Computer Science    manis@cs.ubc.cdn
Univ. of British Columbia    manis%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1W5      manis@ubc.csnet
(604) 228-6770 or 228-3061

"BASIC is the Computer Science equivalent of 'Scientific Creationism'."