[comp.sys.atari.st] Advantage of GCC on ST

fouts@orville.UUCP (04/01/87)

In article <950@ubc-cs.UUCP> manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vincent Manis) writes:
>Now, as someone who has just purchased Mark Williams C (a steal at US$119
>from Microtyme), can anybody tell me what I would gain by running GCC on my
>ST?

For an ST owner with an existing compiler, such as Wark Williams C,
the only large advantage would be that GCC will handle the draft ANSI
standard, while existing compilers don't yet.  This of course will not
become an advantage until there are a larger number of ANSI conforming
programs which existing compilers won't handle.

There are other advantages which come with having the source code, but
they are limited to people who like hacking compilers.

My motivation is two fold:  1) To provide myself with practice porting
compilers, and 2) To have a compiler that I have source code for, so
that I can use it with MINIX, if the opportunity presents.

Marty