[comp.sys.atari.st] Emulating Amiga with ST and vice-versa

mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu.UUCP (04/03/87)

beilke@puff.WISC.EDU (Matthew Beilke) writes:

>     The ST can not emulate an Amiga, simply because it does not have the
> graphics/sound harware to do everything an Amiga can.  However, the Amiga
> could in theory emulate an ST (It would obviously be _much_ slower than
> an ST.
>
>     BTW,  a real ST emulator is indeed quite feasible.  After all they
> both use the MC68000, don't they.  The hard part would be to get AmigaDOS
> to read TOS disks.
>
>              -         -  - ---> Matt Beilke <--- -  -       -

Actually, reading TOS disks would be the easiest part.  The Amiga disk
controllers read raw data via DMA and the trackdisk.device decodes the
MFM information using the blitter -- the amiga does not use any
off-the-shelf disk controller chip.  The upshot of all this is that
the Amiga can read/write any 3 1/2" constant speed disk format (sadly,
it can't read/write variable speed formats as used by the Mac.  At one
time I had the idea of writing a Mac/Amiga/ST file converter).

As far as emulating an Amiga with an ST, impossible.  The 640x400
interlace modes (with 16 colors), HAM mode (all 4096 colors), the
hardware sprites, the 4 D/A converters for sound generation, etc.
would be impossible to generate on the ST.  Remember that many things
that happen in hardware on the amiga are precisely timed, such as bus
arbitration, and would be tough to emulate in software (especially on
hardware that is running about the same speed as the system you are
trying to emulate).   You could make an ST emulate the Amiga OS, and
run programs that don't depend heavily on the graphics display, but
I'm afraid that would get you about as far as the AmigaDOS commands
for manipulating files.

As far as emulating the ST with the Amiga, that would be tough as
well.  The hardware for the two machines support displays rather
differently.  The Amiga uses a bit-plane oriented approach, the ST
uses a linear arrangement that I don't remember the details to (yes,
I'm an Amiga hacker, but I try to keep up on the rest of the world as
well), but would be nasty to have to re-map to fit the Amiga display
hardware (as in prohibitively slow).  According to what I hear about
the A2000, it takes a decent amount of Amiga power to keep up with the
PC display emulation.  The ST would be that much harder.  Also, the
Amiga can only access display and audio memory in its lower 512K,
while the ST does not suffer from this restriction.  That would also
hamper efforts to make an Amiga successfully emulate an ST.

The reason why it is so easy to emulate the Mac using Magic Sac is
that the Mac is mainly a software-driven system.  The Mac is basically
a 68K, some memory, I/O ports and a bitmapped display.  The software
is what makes it run.  Move that software to a machine that also has a
68K, memory, I/O ports and a bitmapped display and voila, you're
emulating a macintosh.  The ST and the Amiga both have more
sophisticated hardware, and it's the nifty tricks in hardware that are
SO difficult to emulate in software.

--

Mike Portuesi / Carnegie-Mellon University Computer Science Department
ARPA:	mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu

"Amiga hackers do it graphically, with lots of sound effects"

"Mac owners dream in black and white
 Atari owners dream in color...
 but Amigoids dream using Hold and Modify!"

sansom@trwrb.UUCP (04/03/87)

In article <1175@spice.cs.cmu.edu> mjp@spice.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>As far as emulating the ST with the Amiga, that would be tough as
>well.  The hardware for the two machines support displays rather
>differently.  The Amiga uses a bit-plane oriented approach, the ST
>uses a linear arrangement...

The ST's display does, in fact, use memory mapped bit-planes.  The number of
planes it uses is, of course, dependent on the screen resolution.  Low
resolution (320 x 200, 16 colors) uses four bit planes _interleaved_ in
memory (not linear), medium resolution (640 x 200, 4 colors) uses two bit
planes, and high resolution (640 x 400, 2 "colors") uses one bit plane
(which is, in effect, a linear arrangement).

-Rich
--
  /// Richard E. Sansom                   TRW Electronics & Defense Sector \\\