[comp.sys.atari.st] Stupid character changing!!

omsi@reed.UUCP (04/02/87)

[You wascully wabbit!!!]

Some stupid site out there is:
1) eating trailing spaces
2) Turning carets '^' into tildes '~'
thus making uuencoded files totally useless...

If you get a uuencoded file that doesn't work:
Try adding spaces to the ends of the lines that are short.
If you have tildes '~' in your uuencoded file, replace them
with carets '^'.

I finally got both posings of hdscan12.arc to work after using
the above fixes.

Now if someone could make a mainframe version of uudecode that
will do the remapped character handling and the missing trailing
spaces handing for the mainframe.  I do all my uudecoding on the
vax and download the nice compact binary file. It's a lot faster
that way.

Russell Schwartz
...!tektronix!reed!omsi

engst@batcomputer.UUCP (04/04/87)

Try using Dumas's uudecode on the ST.  It's not as fast as decoding on a
mainframe, but it's pretty fast (particularly in a ramdisk) and I haven't
had it fail to decode a file yet.  On the other hand, I've only ever
gotten one file to decode properly on Cornell's Batcomputer.  It's posted at
Houston on Bitnet, and it probably has already been sent to Jim Turner,
since I think it's generally considered the best uudecode out.
                          Adam Engst

engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu

silvert@dalcs.UUCP (04/07/87)

In article <607@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> engst@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu.UUCP (Adam C. Engst) writes:

>Try using Dumas's uudecode on the ST.  It's not as fast as decoding on a
>mainframe, but it's pretty fast (particularly in a ramdisk) and I haven't
>had it fail to decode a file yet.  On the other hand, I've only ever
>gotten one file to decode properly on Cornell's Batcomputer.  It's posted at
>Houston on Bitnet, and it probably has already been sent to Jim Turner,
>since I think it's generally considered the best uudecode out.

You can easily compile the Dumas files under unix.  Just delete the
osbind.h inclusion and use printf for the output (there is a GEM output
function used somewhere, just delete the code and define Console or
whatever it is called to be printf).

I have been using it for both en and decoding for quite a while now, and
it seems very robust.

Highly recommended.

--
Bill Silvert, Modelling/Statistics Group
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada