[comp.sys.atari.st] PROFF... has anybody improved it yet??

long@sask.UUCP (04/02/87)

I now feel that PROFF is superior to all the word processors out
for the ATARI.  The main feature is the automatic generation of the
Table of Contents.

However,  it is just pitiful when trying to do BOLDFACE or
UNDERLINE.  I know tht backspace is a handyway to do things so that
they work on anything, but it is painfully slow, especially when I
know that my printer is being slowed to a tenth of its speed.
Another bug is that I can't figure out how to use the ITALICS feature
without PROFF doing a line break.

Since I have the source to PROFF, I intend on getting into it, and
enabling it to do the things it does do CORRECTLY, and to maybe
add somemore features, like ITALICS, etc.  I am going to set this up
to work with an EPSON FX-80 compatible printer, (the industry
standard for an ST??).

Has anyone already done this??  Am I wasting my time??

Warren

--
=-=-=-=-=-Warren Long at University of Saskatchewan, Canada-=-=-=-=-
Home: 78 Carleton Dr.,Saskatoon, Sasakatchewan, S7H 3N6

silvert@dalcs.UUCP (04/07/87)

In article <657@sask.UUCP> long@sask.UUCP writes:
>However, [proff] is just pitiful when trying to do BOLDFACE or
>UNDERLINE.  I know tht backspace is a handyway to do things so that
>they work on anything, but it is painfully slow, especially when I
>know that my printer is being slowed to a tenth of its speed.
>
>Since I have the source to PROFF, I intend on getting into it, and
>enabling it to do the things it does do CORRECTLY, and to maybe
>add somemore features, like ITALICS, etc.  I am going to set this up
>to work with an EPSON FX-80 compatible printer, (the industry
>standard for an ST??).

1. the Epson is pretty common, but should not be viewed as a standard.
   This is evident from the number of alternate printer drivers that are
   coming out now.  Also, many "compatible" printers such as the SMM804
   are not fully compatible.  If proff gets locked into a single
   hardware device it will be a step backward, not forward.

   You should aim for the inclusion of a configuration file, such as
   that which comes with 1st-Word, or the Degas drivers.  These are not
   difficult to write.

   Keep in mind that proff is not restricted to the ST.  I have it
   running under Unix, which means that I can run off proff-formatted
   documents on the high-speed printer at work.

2. alas, the backspace feature does not work on every printer!  My C.
   Itoh ProWriter cannot backspace in bidirectional mode, and probably
   many bidirectional models have the same problem.  All the more reason
   for configuration files.
--
Bill Silvert, Modelling/Statistics Group
Bedford Institute of Oceanography, Dartmouth, NS, Canada

gsschaffer@watdaisy.UUCP (04/07/87)

The "UNIX philosophy" solution is to write a filter, which would read
input with backspaces (for bold and underline) and process it into
several lines (which are overprinted).  I wrote something like this once
to print a "troff -Tdumb" document from UNIX on a DEC-20.

-greg

oz@yetti.UUCP (Ozan Yigit) (04/08/87)

In article <657@sask.UUCP> long@sask.UUCP (Warren Long) writes:

>I now feel that PROFF is superior to all the word processors out
>for the ATARI.  The main feature is the automatic generation of the
>Table of Contents.

	Thank you. I am glad to hear this, although when I wrote it,
	I did not think that it would be useful.

>However,  it is just pitiful when trying to do BOLDFACE or
>UNDERLINE.  I know tht backspace is a handyway to do things so that
>they work on anything, but it is painfully slow, especially when I
>know that my printer is being slowed to a tenth of its speed.

	You are absolutely right. It is a bad way of doing things,
	but at the time, I did not know any better. Call it nroff
	syndrome. :-)

>Since I have the source to PROFF, I intend on getting into it, and
>enabling it to do the things it does do CORRECTLY, and to maybe
>add somemore features, like ITALICS, etc.  I am going to set this up
>to work with an EPSON FX-80 compatible printer, (the industry
>standard for an ST??).
>
>Has anyone already done this??  Am I wasting my time??

	To my knowledge, nobody has done the "right" things to it.
	Proff has all the problems of a "first" system. It badly
	needs a re-write, by using ditroff-style structures internally.
	[ditroff internals is well documented in a btl memo]
	All changes/additions without a re-write would be (in my
	opinion) time-wasting hacks. Sigh... I wish I had the time.

>Warren

	oz
--
Creativity 		Usenet: [decvax|ihnp4]!utzoo!yetti!oz
	never goes	      anything!seismo!mnetor!yetti!oz