[comp.sys.atari.st] GEMBOOT tested on US ROM's

weber_w@apollo.UUCP (04/06/87)

In <8704031501.AA13923@inria.inria.fr> poirot@inria.inria.fr writes:

>I'll going to reformat it next monday or tuesday. So i would like to know
>if someone has experiment GEMBOOT ? Can it be useful for me  and may i
>include it in the future ??

I have tested GEMBOOT over the weekend, using two MAXTOR XT1065 drives and
a Berkeley MicroSystems BMS-100 interface board.  After formatting, the
drives yield 8 partitions of approx. 13.3Mb each.

Gemboot reported on boot that it found 112 folders total, I copied 80 folders
at a time from one partition to another and it WORKED FLAWLESSLY!

Rebooting without GEMBOOT after that caused Show Info on the partition
to trash a portion of the drive FAT, and could even be made to cause a folder
copy to "two-bomb" crash the desktop.

Rebooting with GEMBOOT back in permitted me to access all partitions, copy
folders, etc. without any hassle.

****** Proceeding beyond this point may cause damage from FLAMES **********

If there were any justice in the world Atari development would be SHOT for not
making a fix like this available MONTHS AGO (assuming they are running something
similar INTERNALLY), and Konrad Hahn would receive the proceeds from their life
insurance policies AND royalties for his efforts.  I personally intend to tangibly
express my appreciation for his efforts.

Walt Weber               PHONE: (617) 256-6600 x7004
Apollo Computer          GENIE: W.WEBER
Chelmsford, Mass.   COMPUSERVE: 76515,2423

john@viper.UUCP (04/07/87)

In article <341cab34.1f6@apollo.uucp> weber_w@apollo.UUCP (Walt Weber) writes:

 >Gemboot reported on boot that it found 112 folders total, I copied 80 folders
 >at a time from one partition to another and it WORKED FLAWLESSLY!
 >
 >Rebooting without GEMBOOT after that caused Show Info on the partition
 >to trash a portion of the drive FAT, and could even be made to cause a folder
 >copy to "two-bomb" crash the desktop.
 >
 >Rebooting with GEMBOOT back in permitted me to access all partitions, copy
 >folders, etc. without any hassle.

  Walt, I suspect part of the show-info problem is that it uses repeated
fsfirst/fsnext calls to Tos which will probably bomb any time you try it
on a drive with over 50 folders on a non-GemBoot enhanced system.  This
is a remarkable program...  I still wish Konrad would explain more about
how the fool thing works so I'd feel comfortable using it...

  BTW, does the trashing of the FAT always come from doing a show-info?
This seems a bit odd since showinfo itself doesn't write -at-all- to the
disks.  Are you sure the order you listed cause-and-effect is correct?
I could understand how copying folders might trash the FAT on a really
huge directory, but not showinfo....  Anyone got a clue why this would
happen?

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john

weber_w@apollo.UUCP (04/09/87)

In article <788@viper.UUCP> john@viper.UUCP (John Stanley) writes:
>In article <341cab34.1f6@apollo.uucp> weber_w@apollo.UUCP (Walt Weber) writes:
>>
>>Rebooting without GEMBOOT after that caused Show Info on the partition
>>to trash a portion of the drive FAT, and could even be made to cause a folder
>>copy to "two-bomb" crash the desktop.
>
>  Walt, I suspect part of the show-info problem is that it uses repeated
>fsfirst/fsnext calls to Tos which will probably bomb any time you try it
>on a drive with over 50 folders on a non-GemBoot enhanced system.

Agreed - the statement was more in the line of "explaining the testing" than
in "Gee, look, I've never seen THIS before" :-)

>  BTW, does the trashing of the FAT always come from doing a show-info?
>This seems a bit odd since showinfo itself doesn't write -at-all- to the
>disks.  Are you sure the order you listed cause-and-effect is correct?

I mis-spoke when I wrote that. ( "Mis-spoke" == word used when attempting to
distance oneself from obviously bad information.  Alternative to "shin kicking"
used in certain HQ facilities. :-)  If the FAT had actually been trashed, the
subsequent reboot using GEMBOOT would not have shown the partitions as healthy.

What I should have said was that "Show Info would report erroneous results in
the folder count, file count, bytes used, bytes available fields with the
folder/file counts LOWER than normal, bytes used LOWER, bytes avail LOWER, and
( used + available ) not equal partition capacity".  Furthermore, subsequent
copies to ANOTHER partition could either trash the FAT or two-bomb the desktop;
this might be related to how far over the limit the system had gone during a
session.  In one case, 79 folders on D: were all accessible, and additional
files and folders could be created by carefully tracking the count of folders
"seen", but it unfortunately blew off all of E: (empty at the time).  Show Info
on E: would report 0 files, 0 folders, 0 bytes used, 0 bytes free.  Easisest
solution was to re-format the disk, since recovery would be inconclusive without
a lot of work.

My apologies again for distributing bad information.