[comp.sys.atari.st] Megamax C vs. Mark Williams C

POPE@KL.SRI.COM.UUCP (04/10/87)

I plan to buy  a C compiler  in the next couple  weeks and would  like
recommendations for or against Megamax and Mark Williams C.  From what
I've heard, Megamax has a nice development environment, good debugger,
and compiles  quickly.   MWC  has great  GEM  documentation  and  fast
floating-point support.  Any remarks from people who have used one  or
both compilers?

They both seem  to be approximately  the same price  (~ $150  US)--any
recommendations  on  where  to  buy  either  by  mail-order  (I'm   in
California)?

Finally, is  serious  C  development possible  with  one  double-sided
floppy, a one  megabyte machine,  and a large  ramdisk?  Would  either
Megamax or MWC be more suitable for use with the hardware I have?   Is
a second floppy or hard disk advisable?

Thank you for any input you have.  I'll summarize responses to the net
if people are interested.

                                        David E. Pope
                                       pope@kl.sri.com
-------

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (04/12/87)

In article <12293477492.22.POPE@KL.SRI.COM> POPE@KL.SRI.COM (David Pope)
writes:

>Finally, is  serious  C  development possible  with  one  double-sided
>floppy, a one  megabyte machine,  and a large  ramdisk?  Would  either
>Megamax or MWC be more suitable for use with the hardware I have?   Is
>a second floppy or hard disk advisable?

I recently posted a rave review of MWC to this newsgroup. After using it for
a couple of weeks (interrupted by a dead monitor for a few days) my raves
have if anything increased. It provides a complete development environment,
including a nice shell which isn't quite like the Bourne, C, or Korn shells,
the standard utility programs, and nice libraries.

I've configured my system with one double-sided disk containing most of the
utilities and libraries, the compiler and editor on the ramdisk, and
source/object code on another drive. You certainly can use it on a
single-drive system, but it would be pretty horrible (the manual says you
can use it on a 520 with a single-sided drive, but I wouldn't want to try
that). I know at least one person who uses it on the configuration David
has, and he seems pretty happy with it.

The big win with MWC is that it does fussy type checking. That turns out to
make some code I've got over the net not compile, but I really like
compilers which force me to make sure I know what I'm doing. The compiler
really does catch a lot of stupid errors (maybe you folks don't make them,
but I do).

In my last posting, I mentioned that I'd bought my copy from a firm called
MicroTyme, for US$119. A lot of people asked for address and phone number.

   MicroTyme
   P.O. Box 368
   Kettering, OH 45409
   1-800-255-5835 (US only) or 1-513-294-6236

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with MicroTyme or Mark Williams Co.
-----
Vincent Manis                {seismo,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!manis
Dept. of Computer Science    manis@cs.ubc.cdn
Univ. of British Columbia    manis%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1W5      manis@ubc.csnet
(604) 228-6770 or 228-3061

"BASIC is the Computer Science equivalent of 'Scientific Creationism'."