[comp.sys.atari.st] Help with UW

beatyr@pur-ee.UUCP (04/10/87)

<<<<<>>>>>

  I just got UW downloaded and it is running as I type. This is a
verification then of the integrity of the posted files.

  One question: I can get TWO Remote Shell windows going, but when I try
to get a third it comes up for a couple of seconds and then goes away.
Is this a problem with my VAX? Maybe my system administrators will only
allow two forked shells? I can't believe this but would someone please
tell me if they got three or more remote shells running?

  Thanks...

				Bob
----------
   ... ihnp4!pur-ee!beatyr      <- usenet
  ... beatyr@ed.ecn.purdue.edu  <- arpa-net
   ... beatyr@pur-ee.UUCP       <- UUCP
----------

bammi@cwruecmp.UUCP (04/12/87)

In article <5931@pur-ee.UUCP> beatyr@pur-ee.UUCP (Robert Beaty) writes:
>  One question: I can get TWO Remote Shell windows going, but when I try
>to get a third it comes up for a couple of seconds and then goes away.

I tried UW upto the maximum of 7 windows with no problem. From what
you describe, i suspect that the problem is that on your Vax, your system
administrator has not created enough /dev/ptyp's. On our system, we have
/dev/ptyp0 thru /dev/ptypf. The flash you see is because the ST end opens
the window and sends a CB_FN_NEWW message to Uw, which tries to open a
/dev/ptyp, and upon failure it send back the CB_FN_KILLW message to kill
the window.

I tried creating 7 windows, with the creation initiated from the Vax end
using uwtool, and that worked fine too. The only strange thing i noticed
was that if you have a window that is expecting raw input (for instance
a window created by typing `uwtool emacs' on the vax end), and it is
NOT the top window, and the window on top is reading cooked input, then
anything you type to the top window, appears in the raw window and not
in the top window. If there are two windows, that are expecting raw input,
and (a third)  top window is reading cooked input, then anything you type
to the top window, goes to the most recently created window expecting
the raw input. I have not looked at the uw source on the vax closely
enough to say if this is due to the vax end, or the ST end.

BTW, the mac version of UW works just fine under MacSac.
--
usenet: {decvax,cbatt,cbosgd,sun}!cwruecmp!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@case

ravi@mcnc.UUCP (04/12/87)

In article <5931@pur-ee.UUCP> beatyr@pur-ee.UUCP (Robert Beaty) writes:

>  One question: I can get TWO Remote Shell windows going, but when I try
>to get a third it comes up for a couple of seconds and then goes away
>[................]would someone please tell me if they got three or
>more remote shells running?

	I have used up to 4 shells (windows) without problems;
typically, I'll log in and then rlogin onto another host..  It
does get rather slow at 1200 baud though..

								-ravi

ps:  Just in case someone missed this, using the special built in font (the
default) makes each window a complete 80x24 adm3a..