[comp.sys.atari.st] The README file from the SAC!

engst@batcomputer.UUCP (04/06/87)

Well, here it is.  A README file from the Sac (Ver. 3.0, I guess).  This
list is pretty good, but does anyone know of other software that either
works or doesn't work?  I'd like to keep compiling a list so that anyone who
wishes to buy a Sac knows what will and what will not run.  Also, didn't
someone say something about Ver. 4.0 working with a color monitor?

Hope this helps someone (other than me).

            			WORKS
	         		-----
Apple Finder 1.0
Apple Finder 1.1g
Apple Finder 4.1   (note: may fail on 128K size inconsistently, see note)
Apple MacPaint 1.5 (note: 1.3 has a bug in FatBits, fixed in 1.5)
Apple Edit Oct. 22/1984
Apple MacDraw 1.9
Apple MacProject 1.0
Apple REDIT (6/86 update)
Apple Disk Utility (5/85 update)

Aldus: Pagemaker (only a non-protected version, not yet available)

Arrays / Continental Software: The Home Accountant V. 1.03

Assimilation: RAMDISK program.

Chang Labs: R&R Ledger system

Desktop Software: 1st Base V1.01

Dreams of the Phoenix: Freeterm 1.6, 1.8. NOTE: Use these to modem with.

Bishop Graphics: Quik-Circuit (PC Design package)

Haba Systems: Habaword 1.2, 1.3, 1.4 (very nice word processor)

Infocom: Zork III. Note: works well under Finder 1.0, not so well under 4.1.

Main Street Software: Main Street Filer V. 1.1

Manhattan Graphics' Ready-Set-Go V2.1

Megahaus: Megafiler V1.01
Megahaus: MegaMerge 2.00

Megamax C (cc, link, sieve demonstration, rmaker)

Microsoft BASIC 1.01 (decimal and binary versions)
Microsoft BASIC 2.00 (decimal and binary versions)
Microsoft Excel (only a non-protected version, not yet available)

Software Arts: TK! Solver V TK-1 (5R)

			Doesn't Work
			------------

Apple Switcher 3.0, 3.3. zerostore at d21a. Use 5.0b1; it works.
Apple ResEdit (6/86) after B eject; (a4) zerostore.
Apple Fedit (John Mitchell); zerostore on initial launch.
Apple MacTerminal 2.00 (40 0008 test) (direct rom access)

Hayes Smartcom 2.0: bf fff9 at 10252; (direct serial chip access).

Microsoft Word: Zerostore at f31ca.

Penguin: Transylvania. 01650004 at ff512.

	See also notes in main text.

	More than likely, some of these failures are due to subtle
copy protection schemes.

					Adam Engst
engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
pv9y@cornella.bitnet

long@sask.UUCP (04/13/87)

In article <613@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst) writes:

> Well, here it is.  A README file from the Sac (Ver. 3.0, I guess).  This
> list is pretty good, but does anyone know of other software that either
> works or doesn't work?  I'd like to keep compiling a list so that anyone who
> wishes to buy a Sac knows what will and what will not run.  Also, didn't
> someone say something about Ver. 4.0 working with a color monitor?
>
> Hope this helps someone (other than me).

Well, cuz it wuz so cheap, and I needed a clock anyways, I bought
a Magic Sac.  The store where I bought it also included a beta
test version, v. 3.5.  This is halfway to version 4.

Comments of ver. 3.5:

Yes, colour monitors are supported.  This is only possible with a
1 Meg. machine, cuz an invisble b/w macintosh screen is hidden
somewhere in memory, and a background routine copies to the colour
screen periodically.  If the ST copied every screen, there wouldn't
be any CPU time left for processing, so only every fifth (approx)
screen is copied.  This gives the mouse, and I assume any other
moving objects a real jerky appearance.  This whole kludge (yes, it
is definately a kludge, but then, kludges of this magnitude
impress the hell out of me) will consume about 20% of your
processing power... in other words, slow the ST down to the speed
of a conventional MAC.  ( Boy, do I feel superior now...)

The colour is not really high enough res. to be legible.  With some
struggling, it is possible to read anything, but when I played with
it, I always used the large fonts in MacWrite.

Promises for Ver. 4.0:

EPSON printer support!!!!  David Small has promised to get this
working or die trying!!  This is the one thing that will make this
purchase worthwhile.  Most of the programs I have used do in fact
run pretty well, but until I can print something out, Magic Sac is
just a toy.  An Epson FX-80 driver is promised.

I haven't had the program long enough to do any real testing, but it
certainly does enough to please me.  It is fun to see which programs
are well enough written to instinctively use the full atari screen.
Although the claims are that programs load as fast, this has not
been the case.  In general, the boot process takes a lot longer on
the ST.  However, it does run most progs faster...

Warren

--
=-=-=-=-=-Warren Long at University of Saskatchewan, Canada-=-=-=-=-
Home: 78 Carleton Dr.,Saskatoon, Sasakatchewan, S7H 3N6