[comp.sys.atari.st] GEMBOOT it works, well _almost_

K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET.UUCP (04/10/87)

tlz at drutx quotes SUPRA as saying:
>"Yes", they said. "GEMBOOT is bad. Trashes your disk. Don't use it.
>Actually DECREASES your available folders to 20....."
In this generalised form this is simply not true!
Probably they should have said: "It's not compatible with our hard-disk
driver". GEMBOOT works very well with the original Atari driver, maybe
you should have checked the tree structure with GEMDIR first? On a correctlly
working system you should see GEMDOS using the additional directory blocks.
A bit more info on the programs you had in the AUTO folder would probably
be appreciated by people with a SUPRA harddisk.

                                   Simon Poole
                                   K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET

john@viper.UUCP (04/13/87)

In article <8704100841.AA13614@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET writes:
 >tlz at drutx quotes SUPRA as saying:
 >>"Yes", they said. "GEMBOOT is bad. Trashes your disk. Don't use it.
 >>Actually DECREASES your available folders to 20....."

 >In this generalised form this is simply not true!
 >Probably they should have said: "It's not compatible with our hard-disk
 >driver". GEMBOOT works very well with the original Atari driver, maybe
 >you should have checked the tree structure with GEMDIR first? On a correctlly
 >working system you should see GEMDOS using the additional directory blocks.
 >A bit more info on the programs you had in the AUTO folder would probably
 >be appreciated by people with a SUPRA harddisk.
 >
 >                                   Simon Poole
 >                                   K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET

  Definately would like more info on this!

  Are there -any- people out there happily using GemBoot on a Supra HD?
If, in fact, GemBoot is really that incompatable with supra, I'll forget
about ever unarcing it...

  (I hope this isn't one of those cases where the person relating the
reported problem, or the person at Supra not knowing what they're
talking about....)

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john

preston@felix.UUCP (04/15/87)

> >>"Yes", they said. "GEMBOOT is bad. Trashes your disk. Don't use it.
> >>Actually DECREASES your available folders to 20....."

Strange.  I have 50+ folders on my Supra hard disk with GEMBOOT
installed.

>  Are there -any- people out there happily using GemBoot on a Supra HD?

I have GEMBOOT installed on my 1040ST with a Supra 20M hard disk.  So
far it seems to work just fine.

I recently backed up my hard disk.  I couldn't complete the backup
without GEMBOOT installed because I had too many folders (a little over
40 at the time).  With GEMBOOT installed I could complete the backup
without problem.

Now, GEMBOOT has really only been installed for a couple of weeks, so
this isn't an extensive test.

BTW, I used the TURTLE program to do the hard disk backup.  Very nice!
Though you do have to be careful about the format of the floppys you
use.  I used 'twister' formatted floppies for one of my backups.  It
was fast, but I couldn't see any of the files on the floppies (although
the free space number looked right...)  If you tell TURTLE to format
the floppies as it goes then the floppies look OK afterwards.  I
suspect there is something slightly different about the twister
formatted disks.

Preston L. Bannister
USENET	   :	ucbvax!trwrb!felix!preston
BIX	   :	plb