[comp.sys.atari.st] Atari Standard Languages -- Rs232 Handling?

ud040164@ndsuvm1.bitnet.UUCP (03/29/87)

Hello;

  On a usual boring North Dakota evening (although we won the NCAA Hockey
  Championship tonight!), I was thinking about some of the things that I
  had planned long ago.  One of them was starting an ST BBS.  Purusing the
  latest literature (and my memory), I came up with ZIP in the way of P-D
  BBS ware, so I resigned myself to writing my own.
  Well, that's not really a problem, although the language of choice is.
  Personal Pascal would be nice, although I have yet to get a GEM program
  running with any regularity, so I figured I might as well give ST BASIC
  a shot (call me a sadist).  Guess what?  Absolutely _no_ way to read the
  serial port!  Questions:

  1) In the "New" ST Basic, will such support be made available?
  2) When (if ever) will such a "New" Basic be forthcoming?
  3) *the clincher* At what price?
  4) What bright guy wrote the manual?  I love the commands which are in-
     cluded in the list of commands, but which are left out of the lang-
     uage :-)

  5) (As an aside, what happened to Alex?  Shin surgery?  ;-)
-------

a.d. jensen                           "Forty below keeps out
Department of Geography                the riff-raff."
University of North Dakota                -- North Dakota State Motto
Grand Forks, ND

<UD040164%NDSUVM1.BITNET@WIS

neil@atari.UUCP (04/07/87)

In article <101UD040164@NDSUVM1>, UD040164@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:

>   I came up with ZIP in the way of P-D
>   BBS ware, so I resigned myself to writing my own.

Actually, Citadel-ST is available in the public domain.  It is on GEnie and
on many BBS's, including the Atari Base Annex (see below for more on the
Annex).

Citadel-ST files include executables in CITADEL1.ARC, utilities in
CITADEL2.ARC, and C source code in CITADEL3.ARC.  There are some other files
for help and such floating around, too.

>   Well, that's not really a problem, although the language of choice is.
>   Personal Pascal would be nice

Something you may be interested in is NiteLite ST, which is *not* public
domain but which does include Personal Pascal source code.  This BBS
software has a very good message base and lots of customizability.  It is
available from Paul Swanson, whose voice # is 617-663-4463, or call his BBS
at 617-663-4221.

>   1) In the "New" ST Basic, will such support be made available?
>   2) When (if ever) will such a "New" Basic be forthcoming?
>   3) *the clincher* At what price?

The new ST BASIC is currently in production and should get off the boat here
within the next few weeks.  Which means we'd better set a price soon!  The
new BASIC does indeed support the serial port, in fact it now has functions
for making direct calls to BIOS, XBIOS, and GEMDOS.  It also runs a lot
faster.

If you are interested in BASIC for the ST, you should also look at GFA
BASIC, which also offers a compiler option.  It runs fast, uses structured
code, and in general has been receiving rave reviews from users.  Michtron
also offers quite a bit of support, including their very own area online on
GEnie.

>   5) (As an aside, what happened to Alex?  Shin surgery?  ;-)

Funniest line I've seen on the net in ages!

--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

john@viper.UUCP (04/07/87)

In article <101UD040164@NDSUVM1> UD040164@NDSUVM1.BITNET writes:
 >Hello;
 >
 >  On a usual boring North Dakota evening (although we won the NCAA Hockey
 >  Championship tonight!), I was thinking about some of the things that I
 >  had planned long ago.  One of them was starting an ST BBS.  Purusing the
 >  latest literature (and my memory), I came up with ZIP in the way of P-D
 >  BBS ware, so I resigned myself to writing my own.

  Hmm, guess you haven't heard of Citadel...

  Citadel is a PD BBS system written in C which has been ported to a large
number of micros including the IBM-PC, C-64/128, Apple //, Amiga, -And- to
the Atari ST...  It is (in my opinion) -The- best general-discussion-BBS
system available PD or otherwise.  It is not as powerful or as flexable as
FIDO as far as a file-server BBS goes, but it does have Xmodem (CHK + CRC)
and will soon have Ymodem support.

  If you're interested, there is a thriving Citadel community of 15-20
systems in the Minneapolis/St.Paul area.  The system run by the person
who ported Citadel to the ST is called "Pell" at (612)-377-9239.  The
BBS system itself is available there.

  I would -strongly- advise that you take the time to use the system two
or three times before you download it.  It's a very powerful, very friendly
system, but it is -very- different in feel from 90%+ of all the bbs systems
you've probably used before.

  Digression-Warning:  If you are familiar with the RPN style calculators
put out by HP, there is a similarity the differences between algebraic
.vs. RPN and most-bbs's .vs. Citadel...  No, it' not an "RPN BBS" by any
stretch of the imagination, but it's "different" in a way that encourages
you to break some of the assumptions about how BBS's "should" work...
When I first used an RPN calculator, I had a similar experience with having
to rethink what calculators are and how they work...  Nowdays, I'm hooked
on RPN calculators as my calculator-of-choice and Citadel is my BBS of choice.

  Hope you like it.  If you have further questions, feel free to ask away.
(If I get a great deal of interest, I'll consider sending a copy of the
system to Turner for posting to the net...)

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john

neil@atari.UUCP (04/08/87)

In article <697@atari.UUCP>, neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris) writes:

> Actually, Citadel-ST is available in the public domain.  It is on GEnie and
> on many BBS's, including the Atari Base Annex (see below for more on the
> Annex).

Well, after that long posting, I forgot to talk about the Annex.

Atari Base Annex was set up to experiment with new BBS software as a
possibility to use on Atari Base.  With a volume of 12,000 calls per month
on the 5 main lines, it is highly impractical to fool around there.  So I
got a friend to volunteer to set up a separate line in his home.

We've tried out the aforementioned Citadel ST and are currently running
BB/ST, the new BBS from QMI.  Next in the queue is NiteLite ST, as soon as
we get the menus in shape.

Please give us a call.  It is only through caller interaction that we can
fairly evaluate the various programs.

Call *** 408-227-3502 *** to reach Atari Base Annex.  300/1200 baud service,
24 hours a day (although sometimes we busy up the lines in the late evenings
for maintenance).

--

jtr485@umich.UUCP (Johnathan Tainter) (04/15/87)

In article <787@viper.UUCP>, john@viper.UUCP writes:
>   Citadel is a PD BBS system written in C which has been ported to a large
> number of micros including the IBM-PC, C-64/128, Apple //, Amiga, -And- to
> the Atari ST...  It is (in my opinion) -The- best general-discussion-BBS
> system available PD or otherwise.  It is not as powerful or as flexable as
> FIDO as far as a file-server BBS goes, but it does have Xmodem (CHK + CRC)
> and will soon have Ymodem support.
>   If you're interested, there is a thriving Citadel community of 15-20
> systems in the Minneapolis/St.Paul area.  The system run by the person
> who ported Citadel to the ST is called "Pell" at (612)-377-9239.

His name is Orc, (legally David Parsons).  He does incredible work and only
had 512K and 1 floppy drive.  (Neil@Atari snatch this man up if you can!)

>   I would -strongly- advise that you take the time to use the system two
> or three times before you download it.  It's a very powerful, very friendly
> system, but it is -very- different in feel from 90%+ of all the bbs systems
> you've probably used before.

If you think the feel is different you SHOULD look at the code.  This thing
started out as a game program, ala Dungeon or Adventure.

--j.a.tainter