[comp.sys.atari.st] Gnuplot and Megamax bugs

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (04/14/87)

I find it very interesting to see the discussion on sizeof("anystring").
The background is that Gnuplot uses a declaration

#define PROMPT "gnuplot>"

int line[sizeof(PROMPT) + 80)];

There, the sizeof is supposed to give 9, not 4, and cannot be replaced
by the strlen function!

Gnuplot also uses the format converter %-*, which is supposed to be
valid C.

Gnuplot also uses the enum extension of C, which Megamax ain't got.

Moral: we need an ANSI C standard, and programmers should avoid
unnecessary complications (but maybe telling C programmers that is
like telling cats to stop chasing mice!).

ljdickey@water.UUCP (04/15/87)

In article <465@cernvax.UUCP> jmg@cernvax.UUCP () writes:
>I find it very interesting to see the discussion on sizeof("anystring").
>Moral: we need an ANSI C standard, ...

I think we need an ISO C standard.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@water.UUCP    ljdickey%water@waterloo.CSNET

buchanan@utcsri.UUCP (04/16/87)

In article <908@water.UUCP> ljdickey@water.UUCP (Lee Dickey) writes:
>In article <465@cernvax.UUCP> jmg@cernvax.UUCP () writes:
>>Moral: we need an ANSI C standard, ...
>
>I think we need an ISO C standard.
Please Please. No more about this in this group.  Move to the C group.

--

John W. Buchanan                  Dynamic Graphics Project
               			  Computer Systems Research Institute

buchanan@toronto.CSNET
{allegra,cornell,decvax,ihnp4,linus,utzoo}!utcsri!buchanan