[comp.sys.atari.st] Alex Leavens + Icon Editor

engst@batcomputer.UUCP (04/14/87)

I just got the STart disk with Alex Leaven's Icon Editor program on it and I
like it a lot so far.  My only problem is that I'm a lousy artist, so I was
wondering if any out there had any good icons they would be willing to post
for anyone on the net who has this program?  Also, in the article, Alex
talks about renaming your ICON.DAT file by single clicking on it, typing the
letter X and hitting return, which he said would rename the file to
ICON.DAX.  I dubiously tried this to no avail several times.  Could he be
using some kind new ROMs that are still only Atari in-house?  I can't
imagine why he would have given instructions that were so wrong otherwise.
                                                  Adam Engst

engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
pv9y@cornella.bitnet

sansom@trwrb.UUCP (04/16/87)

In article <682@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> engst@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu.UUCP (Adam C. Engst) writes:
>I just got the STart disk with Alex Leaven's Icon Editor program on it and I
>like it a lot so far.  My only problem is that I'm a lousy artist, so I was
>wondering if any out there had any good icons they would be willing to post
>for anyone on the net who has this program?  Also, in the article, Alex
>talks about renaming your ICON.DAT file by single clicking on it, typing the
>letter X and hitting return, which he said would rename the file to
>ICON.DAX...

That should have been: click once on ICON.DAT, go to the menu bar and
select SHOW INFO from the FILE menu, type X and RETURN.  That'll rename the
file ICON.DAX.

I have a few ICON images, but I didn't even think about posting them.  I'll
post mine, Adam, if you'll post yours (you can't be any worse of an artist
than I).

-Rich
--
   /////////////////////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
  /// Richard E. Sansom                   TRW Electronics & Defense Sector \\\

turner@imagen.UUCP (04/16/87)

in article <682@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst) says:
+---------------------------------------------------------
+
+
:....
+ for anyone on the net who has this program?  Also, in the article, Alex
+ talks about renaming your ICON.DAT file by single clicking on it, typing the
+ letter X and hitting return, which he said would rename the file to
+ ICON.DAX.  I dubiously tried this to no avail several times.  Could he be
.....:
no, he just left out a step; click on the name, go to the 'file'
menu on the desktop and click on 'Show Info', now type X etc.
+                                                   Adam Engst
+
+ engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
+ pv9y@cornella.bitnet
+---------------------------------------------------------
--
---------------
C'est la vie, C'est la guerre, C'est la pomme de terre

engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst) (04/16/87)

Rich,
   Sure I'll post the icons I've done so far, which aren't many and aren't
very good, but hey, maybe I'll be labeled the latest of late in modern art
and make it to the Met in NYC.  I would like to urge other people to post
their icons as well, perhaps naming the file yourname.ICN so we can
differentiate when downloading.  So when I post mine, they'll be uuencoded
and arced with the coded/crunched name of ENGST.ICN.  Whatever is in the
coded/crunched file can be named whatever you want, after people have
downloaded the icons it will be their problem to avoiding copying over their
icons because of identical names.  Oh, and by the way, why don't we post
them here since they really aren't programs and thus don't really qualify
for the .binaries.st group.
                                    Thanks,

neil@atari.UUCP (04/17/87)

In article <682@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst) writes:

> Also, in the article, Alex talks about renaming your ICON.DAT file by
> single clicking on it, typing the letter X and hitting return, which he
> said would rename the file to ICON.DAX.  I dubiously tried this to no
> avail several times.

The missing step syndrome strikes!

First, single click on the file name.
Then, move the mouse up to the FILES menu and select SHOW INFO.
Now, type the letter X and click on OK.

This changes the last letter of the file name to X.
--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (04/19/87)

in article <716@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu>, engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Adam C. Engst) says:

> Rich,
>    Sure I'll post the icons I've done so far, which aren't many and aren't
> very good, but hey, maybe I'll be labeled the latest of late in modern art
.
.
> icons because of identical names.  Oh, and by the way, why don't we post
> them here since they really aren't programs and thus don't really qualify
> for the .binaries.st group.
>                                     Thanks,
>           				Adam Engst
the real idea of comp.*.atari.st was not to limit its contents to
programs only, but to:

1) keep large postings off of this group
2) provide a standard form of verification and distribution
3) relieve the autors of having to hassle with mailings, repostings,
		 missing parts etc.
4) maintain an automatic retrival archive (i'm working on this one)

the preceeding was a paid advertisement

if you do change your mind, please send them to
...decwrl!imagen!atari-sources

--