[comp.sys.atari.st] Flaming Darn Near Everybody...

UD040164@NDSUVM1.BITNET (04/21/87)

Date:         Tue, 21 Apr 1987 15:40 CDT
From:         a.d. jensen <UD040164@NDSUVM1>
Subject:      Flaming Darn Near Everybody...
To:           <INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU>

Warning:  the following is a flame on most of the things that have been
          bugging me of late, and is not meant as an indication of my
          current (mid thesis) state :-)

1) I wish that someone would hurry up and come out with some good, correct
   and _inexpensive_ documentation for computers in general and the ST
   specifically.  I get real tired of spending $20 + for a text which I
   may only use a couple of times.  My biggest concern for Atari's
   'diligence' in making sure they have a quality product is that their
   documentation may come along just in time for it to be outdated by the
   new machines.  Fruit computer did the right thing in releasing 'Inside
   Fruit' in a 'promotional' edition, so that people could get going on
   programming without buying up thirty overpriced and buggy third party
   texts.  I also hope that the Atari 'real' documentation will not cost
   $300.

2) I wish that someone (like DRI) would make a couple changes to the desk-
   top:
   a) MOVE a file, rather than have to copy it into a folder.  My disks
      are a real mess, because they get too full to be shoving files into
      folders (try moving an 80k file on a disk with 2k free).  I know
      that I could do it being a little less lazy, but it seems pretty
      simple to just change a flag on the file that says where it is,
      rather than creating a new one.
   b) Make a more intelligent way to copy a lot of files from disk to disk
      on a single floppy based system.  Copying 20 files takes about 40
      disk swaps.  I know that using a RAM disk avoids this, but that isn't
      really my point now, is it?
   c) Change the trash from a garbage disposal to a trash can.  I have here
      a program which will undelete a file, although you have to do the
      work yourself (figuring out the right sectors, order, etc).  Seems
      pretty simple to just change the FAT and Directory so that the entry
      remains, and all you have to do is put the name back (change the first
      char of the name, like PC-DOS 1.1).
   d) I like the 'Unsorted' directory that was posted earlier.  That might
      be nice...
3) Change the Operating System so that all of the maintenance stuff isn't
   sitting on the first track.  This is pretty minor, but I managed to trash
   out a disk by formatting it.  _However_, the only thing that got munched
   was the first track.  I would rather lose the first file than the whole
   disk because the FAT got wiped.
4) Not to Atari, but to software guys:  Somebody please write a database
   that allows you to print out the fields however you want, without a
   bunch of goofy 'pre-set' forms.  I am still trying to figure out a nice
   way to get my bibliography into a database, but still be able to print
   it out in the format my graduate dean insists on.
5) To Atari:  Please decide what you are going to bundle with the ST, and
   leave it go at that.  When I bought my ST, I got First Word and NeoChrome,
   and I usually point that out to people who are interested in the machine.
   They seem to get pretty aggrevated when they get their machine sans those
   programs, and I suppose that I can't legally give them a copy of either.
6) To Atari:  Please try to be sympathetic with all of us who complain about
   service/promises.  I know that I have gotten pampered by having Neil, Allen
   and the now defunct Alex around, but it is still important to hear a little
   something come out of the Silcon Palace.  A reply that says 'Bugger off,
   it's none of your business' is still better than no reply at all.  (I am
   reminded of the note a month or so ago stating that a long response to
   previous flames was on its way -- I must have missed that.)
7) Get the mailing goons over at the 'Official Organ' moving.  I sent in my
   subscription to Atari Explorer in January, and have yet to see an issue
   (other than those I buy in the bookstore).

Flame Off, Water On.

A few kudos'  (is that plural ? :-)

1) Thanks to Atari for a great 'Official Organ' -- the Explorer.  Neil, please
   be sure to thank David Ahl for a tremendous magazine.  Although the
   propaganda gets a bit thick at times, I like seeing the 'inside poop'.
   I just hope that 50% of the stuff in the mag that gets coverage (like the
   80-column card, and the 'less than 100$ modem' sees the light of day.
2) Good job on releasing the CP/M emulator, although I can't help but wonder
   if this might not have been done except for the snafu PD release in
   Europe.
3) Thanks for bundling some good software with the machine.  In future
   consideration of bundling, please be aware that it is a great selling
   point for me to show off First Word and say 'Yeah, and you get this
   free with the machine.'  I can honestly say that I have sold at least
   three machines to IBM-minded friends who were impressed with that word
   processor, and the fact that it's free.  (I have cheap friends :-)
4) David Small -- great hack with the sack.
5) Everyone who has done PD programming.  I think that the ST has some of
   the finest public domain software for any computer (at least, any machine
   that I have owned. )  Thanks for giving a little bit.
6) Special thanks go to everyone on this net who contributes to the mass
   of knowledge.  Sharing can be quite productive.
7) Simon Poole -- I wish I had as much free time as you spend working on
   Uniterm, the finest telecommunications package I have seen for any
   machine.  You should be selling the bloody thing.  (I only wish that I
   didn't have to dial the phone by hand :-)

Enough griping.  Have a nice day...

a.d. jensen
Department of Geography
University of North Dakota
Grand Forks, ND  58202

"What havoc the Dark Side of the Force must play with your tan..."

<UD040164%NDSUVM1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>