[comp.sys.atari.st] VT100 emulation

K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET.UUCP (04/06/87)

If the net could reach a consens on what features it DOESN'T want in
UniTerm, I would be prepared distribute a cut down version of UniTerm:

A estimate of how much code can be saved (and other memory requirements):

                                        Size      Memory     Total

                 Tek 4010 emulation     ~30kB       32kB     ~62kB
                 Kermit                 ~20kB                ~20kB
                 VTxxx fonts            ~20kB                ~20kB
                 132 col mode           ~10kB                ~10kB

I've already built a version without the Tek emulation.

                                                Simon

akw@osupyr.UUCP (04/08/87)

In article <8704061724.AA17217@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET writes:
>If the net could reach a consens on what features it DOESN'T want in
>UniTerm, I would be prepared distribute a cut down version of UniTerm:
>
>                 Tek 4010 emulation     ~30kB       32kB     ~62kB
Personally I suppose I think you ought to leave it in.  My roommate and
I use it to access graphics packages on the Vaxen here at OSU.
>                 Kermit                 ~20kB                ~20kB
I haven't had the opprotunity to use 1.6g or 1.7a,b but *please* leave
kermit in as well
>                 VTxxx fonts            ~20kB                ~20kB
Ditto.
>                 132 col mode           ~10kB                ~10kB
This one I see as the least useful, but at 10kb, its not as big a deal.
A version simply w/o tek emulation would be nice, but so would a separate
version w/ and w/o kermit...Simon, if you want to create a separate version
for particular tastes, thats cool, but as for me, I don't mind the size
of Uniterm, since I only have 512K and cannot run a Ramdisk with it anyhows.

Andy Weaver / akw@osupyr.UUCP / 614.293.1195 or .292.1741
The Ohio State University / Columbus, OH / "Go Bucks."
"Like cold water to the bones, so is good news from a distant land." Prov25.25

Disclaimer:  If Ohio State knew I had UseNet access, they would probably
have to ask what exactly UseNet is. And how much they should charge.

mdoerr@uklirb.UUCP (04/10/87)

Keep Uniterm as it is. I occasially need all/most of it features.

		Michael Doerr

greg@xios.XIOS.UUCP (Greg Franks) (04/10/87)

In article <8704061724.AA17217@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> K538915@CZHRZU1A.BITNET.UUCP writes:
>If the net could reach a consens on what features it DOESN'T want in
>UniTerm, I would be prepared distribute a cut down version of UniTerm:
>
>                                                Simon

I like all of the VT*** modes plus graphics characters.   The only thing
that I really have no need for is the tek emulation.

Great program all-in-all though!  (I am using 1.7b)

--
Greg Franks     (613) 725-5411          "Vermont ain't flat"
{net-land}!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!xios!greg

pmt@sbcs.UUCP (04/15/87)

> Keep Uniterm as it is. I occasially need all/most of it features.
>
> 		Michael Doerr

  I think a lot of you are missing the point.  Simon Poole was asking if a
smaller version of Uniterm (maybe without some of the more fancy stuff) would
be desirable, and if so he might put out ANOTHER version. At no point did he
hint that he'll cut the good stuff from the full-blown version.
  All he asked was if we like a smaller version (like one that you can put in
your ramdisk), what features should he leave out.  Please read original
postings before replying.

  I think a vt*** emulator with capture buffer (and BREAK capability please)
would be a useful thing to have in one's ramdisk (and maybe kermit or Xmodem).
Thanks.
--

CSNET:pmt@sbcs.csnet
UUCP :{allegra, hocsd, philabs, ogcvax}!sbcs!pmt

  In the path of our happiness shall we find the learning for which
we have choosen this lifetime.

ram-ashwin@YALE.ARPA.UUCP (04/16/87)

>   If the net could reach a consens on what features it DOESN'T want in
>   UniTerm, I would be prepared distribute a cut down version of UniTerm:

My feeling is that a "demand-loaded module" configuration would be the
best -- the distribution would have everything but in separate files, and
UniTerm would just "chain" to the appropriate file when that feature was
invoked.  Then everyone can decide for themselves what they want to keep.

If you're taking a head count, I use regular 80 column vt102/vt100, Tek 4010,
and Kermit.

-- Ashwin.

ARPA:    Ram-Ashwin@yale
UUCP:    {decvax,linus,seismo}!yale!Ram-Ashwin
BITNET:  Ram@yalecs

-------

pes@bath63.ux63.bath.ac.uk (Paul Smee) (04/16/87)

Bit tacky, I know, but it occurs to me that there's probably a Quick and Dirty
answer available, in the form of unbundling the various transfer protocols,
and then Pexec'ing (or equivalent) their object modules when required.  It
would probably even be possible to arrange to pass them an information pointer
so that they could get at any needed shared stuff in the terminal module.
(Surely 1st_prnt must do something like this?)  Tacky, I know, and not as
general as proper dynamic linking, but probably easier.

pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Paul Smee) (04/22/87)

Well, for head-count purposes, my preferences are vT100/VT102 in the 50x80 and
25x132 (really 128) modes.  (25x80 is too sparse, 50x132 is a bit much for
my eyesight.)  Also Tek4010 and Kermit.  Very rarely, ASCII file capture.