[comp.sys.atari.st] uw.vax and uwtool.vax

benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (04/10/87)

I eagerly unpacked UW only to be unable to get the VAX
side working!  The ST side apparently works fine.  However,
after :
	1) kermitting UW to the ST
	2) uudecoding UW.uue
	3) unarcing UW.arc
	4) kermitting uw.vax and uwtool.vax back to the vax,
	5) chmoding so it was executable,
	6) executing and then
		Core dump - illegal instruction...

okay can someone help by pointing out what i am doing wrong.
Failing that ... can some kind soul send me a uuencoded versions
(not arc-ed) of uw.vax and uwtool.vax.
		thanks in advance,
			cd
		...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!benoni

turner@imagen.UUCP (04/11/87)

in article <1187@ssc-vax.UUCP>, benoni@ssc-vax.UUCP (Charles L Ditzel) says:
+---------------------------------------------------------
+
+
+ I eagerly unpacked UW only to be unable to get the VAX
+ side working!  The ST side apparently works fine.  However,
+ after :
+ 	1) kermitting UW to the ST
+ 	2) uudecoding UW.uue
+ 	3) unarcing UW.arc
+ 	4) kermitting uw.vax and uwtool.vax back to the vax,
+ 	5) chmoding so it was executable,
+ 	6) executing and then
+ 		Core dump - illegal instruction...
+
+ okay can someone help by pointing out what i am doing wrong.
+ Failing that ... can some kind soul send me a uuencoded versions
+ (not arc-ed) of uw.vax and uwtool.vax.
+ 		thanks in advance,
+ 			cd
+ 		...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!benoni
+---------------------------------------------------------

rather than cluttering up the net with mailings that may or may not
work, i strongly recommend that you get in touch with ravi (the
original poster, his address is in the posting) and speak with him.
The vax versions that he sent me were specifically for my system
(VAX 11/750 under More BSD 4.2) There was no gaurentee that it would
work elsewhere, I'm sorry if i didn't make that clear in the posting.
I included it only in the vague hope that it MIGHT work on another
system.

--
---------------
C'est la vie, C'est la guerre, C'est la pomme de terre

pete@utcsscb.UUCP (04/12/87)

	Hi Guys.

	I can't believe that someone has posted the Unix BINARIES for UW!
The SOURCE for UW is FREELY AVAILABLE and will support a number of different
machines (ex. sun, pyramid, vax) with 4.2, 4.3 or sysV. I was going to post
the sources with my version of the UWST client module (which, alas, is still
not finished). If turner@imagen wants i'll send it all over to him.

	BTW. I am just about ready to set up all of the terminal emulations
in my UW. I want to know what terminals are important to people. Specifically,
if you have a good description of controls for well know terminals, or better
yet (Simon?) some routines, PLEASE send them over. So far I am just doing
tty,vt52, but I am more than willing to add to that.

						Pete Santangeli
						pete@utcssca@utgpu
					     or pete@utcs

wingard@ncrcae.UUCP (04/13/87)

I don't know if anyone in the newsgroup has seen the source to UW
and UW*.VAX, but I thought I'd go ahead and throw this question out...

The impression I've got right now is that all of the UW host support
software is specifically written for 4.x BSD Unix.  How difficult
would it be to port the code to work on AT&T System V release 2 or 3?
I know that the BSD protocol for job control is different from System
V... what I don't know is if something like System V's "shl" facility
could be used as a reasonable facsimile.  Is there any way that I
could get the source for all the software -- the host tools as well as
the Atari program?

Any thoughts, comments, or (best of all) answers?  I've got an itch to
get this thing going on an NCR Tower 32/800... :-)

Steve Wingard                        ...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!ncrcae!wingard
NCR Corp., E&M-Columbia              ...!decvax!mcnc!ncsu!ncrcae!wingard
Home of the Towers... 			wingard@ncrcae.NCR.COM

axel@coma.UUCP (04/14/87)

/***** coma:comp.sys.at.st / imagen!turner / 12:27 am  Apr 11, 1987*/

/* ---------- */

ravi@mcnc.UUCP (04/18/87)

In article <589@utcsscb.UUCP> pete@utcsscb.UUCP (Peter Santangeli) writes:

>	I can't believe that someone has posted the Unix BINARIES for UW!
>The SOURCE for UW is FREELY AVAILABLE and will support a number of different
>machines (ex. sun, pyramid, vax) with 4.2, 4.3 or sysV. I was going to post
>the sources with my version of the UWST client module (which, alas, is still
>not finished). If turner@imagen wants i'll send it all over to him.

	This is getting out of hand.. I'd like to point out one last
time that I sent the binaries for the Unix end of UW to Jim Turner at his
request, only so he could test out the ST end.  The posting was not
intended to include the Unix UW programs, (since, as has been pointed out
ad nauseum, the Unix end is freely available).   If you have trouble
locating them (look around in the nearest Mac archives), I'll mail
copies of the sources on request. I'd prefer though to wait for Pete's
version to come out, and have that distributed that _with_ Unix sources..
(that's up to Pete and Jim),

						-ravi

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (04/20/87)

in article <2213@alvin.mcnc.UUCP>, ravi@mcnc.UUCP (Ravi Subrahmanyan) says:
+---------------------------------------------------------
+
+ In article <589@utcsscb.UUCP> pete@utcsscb.UUCP (Peter Santangeli) writes:
++
[...]

there's been enough requests that i'm going to post the unix
sources today, please don't beat up on ravi he's one of my major
contributors (:-)

--
C'est la vie, C'est la guerre, C'est la pomme de terre
Mail:	Imagen Corp. 2650 San Tomas Expressway Santa Clara, CA 95052-8101
UUCP:	...{decvax,ucbvax}!decwrl!imagen!turner      AT&T: (408) 986-9400

agm@warwick.UUCP (Andy Minter) (04/22/87)

[]

I'd like to get these working on a Sun.  Could somebody send me the source
for the VAX parts of UW?

Thanks in advance, Andrew
...seismo!mcvax!ukc!warwick!agm