[comp.sys.atari.st] sizeof literal string, Megamax bug

mike@bobkat.UUCP (04/17/87)

	Well, you're right. A literal string is defined to be an array of char,
which is then usually changed to a pointer to char when used.  Sizeof(array)
gives the size of the array, So sizeof("Hello"), should be 6. Note that the
null at the end is included.
	I have just completed the new version of Megamax C, and I fixed that bug
and a few others.  More importantly the compiler now produces absolute
references to code and data locations. Therefore, array sizes are no longer
limited to 32K and code does not have to be split up in 32K segments.
There is a 32 bit int switch to make porting code easier;  There are two more
address (pointer) registers available; Shorts are 16 bits like they always
should have been; enumerated types are supported; and many other minor fixes
and impovements have been made.
	The new linker accepts either UN*X a.out format object files or DRI (Alcyon)
format object files.  It is extremely fast.  Even though the compiler is
a little slower (do to backpatching necessary for new object file format) the
linker more than makes up for it even when compiling thousands of lines of code.
	Megamax is still testing the new version, but it should be out soon.

													Happy programming,
													Mike Bunnell

P.S.
	I don't handle tech support anymore. Ask for Pete.

cs3c3cd@maccs.UUCP (cs3c3cd) (04/21/87)

----

I really like megamax (and its documentation).

The 32K limit is troublesome.

Will registered users be able to get the update for the $20 fee?????

Richard Werezak
cs3c3cd@maccs.UUCP
carson@mcmaster.BITNET
uasst4@mcmvm1.BITNET

jmorton@violet.berkeley.edu.UUCP (04/22/87)

In article <547@maccs.UUCP> cs3c3cd@maccs.UUCP () writes:
>----
>
>I really like megamax (and its documentation).
>
>The 32K limit is troublesome.
>
>Will registered users be able to get the update for the $20 fee?????

Will the editor (which I like very much) allow files > 32K and
drive letters > F?

And will there be some more help for the Resource Const. program?
Many of the details are not described at all.

		John  {decvax, cbosgd}!ucbvax!euler!jmorton