[comp.sys.atari.st] a poll on whether to post demo-only version of APL68000

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (04/22/87)

Since i STRONGLY believe in the net as an anarchy, i will approach
this in a democratic manner (:-). I was given a version of APL68000
(the APL programming language from Ken Iverson and IBM)
binaries and assorted workspaces with the )save function disabled. In
other words you can play with it all you want but you can't save
your work. The question is should i post it to comp.*.atari.st?

My personal opinion is that a demo only version of a program is a
thinly disguised advertisement for the product and violates the
non-commercial nature of the net, but i will bow to popular opinion.
please email your votes to me (imagen!turner)

thanks

--
---------------
C'est la vie, C'est la guerre, C'est la pomme de terre

brad@looking.UUCP (04/23/87)

In article <1137@imagen.UUCP> turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) writes:

>My personal opinion is that a demo only version of a program is a
>thinly disguised advertisement for the product and violates the
>non-commercial nature of the net, but i will bow to popular opinion.
>please email your votes to me (imagen!turner)

This is *not* a non-commercial net.  Of course, neither is it a
commercial net.  It's not an anything net.

The criteria on this net is simply, "what are the owners of the net
willing to pay to have transmitted?"

If people want to see product announcements and demo versions, which
they do (mod.newprod is one of the most widely read newsgroups) then
they should be posted.  The only problem with demo versions is that
they are very large and thus probably don't measure up in terms of
interest per kilobuck of sending cost.

(I mean kilobuck.  A 300K binary will incur about $2500 in long
distance charges if it is posted straight.  More in some
expanded form like uuencode.  One could bulk mail disks to 2000
people for that price.)

For shorter things, it's simply a myth that people don't want to
see advertising.  Most computer magazines are bought by people who
want to see the ads.  What people don't want is ads that annoy and
get in the way.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473