[comp.sys.atari.st] HDBOOT

rowley@ORVILLE.ARPA.UUCP (04/15/87)

I tried out HDBOOT using the following procedure:

(1) I created a \AUTO folder on drive C of my hard disk.
(2) I copied AHDI.PRG into this folder.
(3) I ran HDB and "installed" the boot sector on drive C.

When the system was rebooted (cold or warm) it still booted off of the floppy.
Running AHD again indicated that the boot sector was still installed on drive C.

I have a 1040ST and an Atari SH-204.

Is there a difference between GEMBOOT and the HDBOOT that was sent out
recently?

Karl Rowley
Arpanet: rowley@orville.nas.nasa.gov

rowley@ORVILLE.ARPA (Karl Rowley) (04/16/87)

I got HDBOOT to work by putting AHDI.PRG in the root directory of the
boot disk, like the directions said.  Thanks, Konrad!

I tried to load the ramdisk (rdy) from MWC version 2.0 after I had booted
from the hard disk.  The ramdisk program returned that the load had failed.
When I typed 'cd g:\' (g: is the ramdisk) to msh, the error message
'cd: Fundamental error' was returned.

I booted the system from the floppy, and the ramdisk loaded OK.  I then did
a warm boot from the hard disk.  Again, msh would not let me cd to drive G:.
The desktop showed the ramdisk as empty.

Konrad, do you have any idea what might explain this behavior?

XBR4D76H@DDATHD21.BITNET (04/24/87)

Date:     Fri, 24 Apr 87 02:06:48 +0200 (Central European Sommer Time)
From:     XBR4D76H@DDATHD21.BITNET
Subject:  Re: HDBOOT
To:       info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In Digest #176  Karl Rowley <rowley@orville.arpa> writes:

> I tried out HDBOOT using the following procedure:
>
> (1) I created a \AUTO folder on drive C of my hard disk.
> (2) I copied AHDI.PRG into this folder.
> (3) I ran HDB and "installed" the boot sector on drive C.

AHDI.PRG must **not** be in the \AUTO folder. It has to be in the root
directory (\) of drive C:.

> Is there a difference between GEMBOOT and the HDBOOT that was sent out
> recently?

Yes.
HDB in archive HDBOOT is a hard disk boot installer. The boot sector written
by HDB enables the ST to boot without floppy.
GEMBOOT in archive GEMSOFT is a GEMDOS fix for the 40 folder bug. GEMBOOT has
to be put into the \AUTO folder.

  Konrad A. Hahn
  BITNET: XBR4D76H@DDATHD21