[comp.sys.atari.st] Testing GEMBOOT.PRG

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (04/18/87)

In article <8704162303.AA17594@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> XBR4D76H@DDATHD21.BITNET writes:
>If not try GEMBOOT.
>But please don't write comments on a program you haven't tested nor even
>read its description entirely.
>
>  Konrad A. Hahn
>  Dept. of Computer Science @ Techn. University Darmstadt, W.-Germany
>  BITNET: XBR4D76H@DDATHD21

I tried a little experiment today.  I've had GEMBOOT installed without
any problems now for about 2-3 weeks.  However because of fear, my hard
disk never had more than 21 directories on it, so I never really got a
chance to give GEMBOOT a workout.  Today I decided that I really wanted
to change my partitioning scheme from 15-15-6-5 to 10-10-10-10.  So I
backed up my disk again (now I have two sets), and went to my "never
used before" 15meg D: partition and started copying in directories.
Every ten directories or so (some nested, some I just created with
'new folder') I stop and did a "show info".  Then I'd copy a file or two,
and repeat.  After 95 folders and 573 files I got tired of this.  That
is enough testing for me to feel comfortable with GEMBOOT.  It never
crashed, did not trash my D: partition even after repeatedly "cd'ing"
around, creating directories, etc...  The only regret I have is that I
didn't find out 'about' how far can I go.  I stopped because it was
getting intolerably long to copy files to the hard disk (GEMDOS
AGAIN!!).  That's one of the reason's I decided to go with the smaller
10meg partitioning scheme.

My setup is: 520ST with 'home grown' 512K expansion, 1 - SSDD drive,
			 1 - DSDD drive, Monochrome monitor
			 Adaptec ACB-4000 + BMS DMA<->SCSI Adaptor (Thanks Chris!!)
			 BMS INSTALL.PRG (HD Driver) (sorry, don't know the rev level)
			 Micropolis 1304 HD (41.3 meg formatted, 33ms ave access)
			 At the time partitioning was (C: 15,D: 15, E: 6, F: 5)
			 Programs run from auto folder (in order):
				BMS install.prg  (HD driver)
				GEMBOOT.PRG
				BMS setclk.prg   (Clock on BMS board)
             Accessories loaded:
				NEWDESK.ACC  (Fixed control panel etc.)
				PRINT-IT!    (v0.94 QMI beta product written by my brother)

Sorry for the length and detail but when explaining a test you should
try and be complete.
For the moment all I can say is THANK YOU VERY MUCH KONRAD!
          (and where was Atari?)

--
Jeff Gortatowsky       {seismo,allegra}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
Eastman Kodak Company

bammi@cwruecmp.UUCP (Jwahar R. Bammi) (04/19/87)

	Its taking all my will-power to resist the temptation to go ahead
and put programs like GEMBOOT, Supra's Supboot with Auto Boot etc into
my auto folder, instead of Atari's AHDI. I have been holding out
saying to myself that very Atari will have their debugged AHDI with
all of the above functionality, as they indicated over 7 MONTHS AGO!
(i still have that article saved!)
Neil, Landon, Alan, someone, will you please at least indicate when
this is going to happen. Please could you also indicate when debugged
versions Gdos, Gemdos etc can be expected. In the projects we do
here we would really like to standardize on facilities provided by
subsystems like Gdos, but with such poorly written versions, it is
really difficult to do so, without using kludges that work around the
poor implementation.
--
usenet: {decvax,cbatt,cbosgd,sun}!cwruecmp!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@case

atwell@utah-cs.UUCP (Bart L. Atwell) (04/22/87)

In article <2047@cwruecmp.UUCP> bammi@cwruecmp.UUCP (Jwahar R. Bammi) writes:

>	Its taking all my will-power to resist the temptation to go ahead
>and put programs like GEMBOOT, Supra's Supboot with Auto Boot etc into
>my auto folder, instead of Atari's AHDI. I have been holding out
>saying to myself that very Atari will have their debugged AHDI with
>all of the above functionality, as they indicated over 7 MONTHS AGO!
>(i still have that article saved!)
>Neil, Landon, Alan, someone, will you please at least indicate when
>this is going to happen. Please could you also indicate when debugged
>versions Gdos, Gemdos etc can be expected. In the projects we do
>here we would really like to standardize on facilities provided by
>subsystems like Gdos, but with such poorly written versions, it is
>really difficult to do so, without using kludges that work around the
>poor implementation.

In the recent AtariFest in Salt Lake City, the official Atari Rep I
talked to said that the fixes to Gemdos would not be ready for another
*YEAR* and that the ROMS to be released with the blitter only add
blitter support and some minor fixes (like an underscore error fix).

Thus, even the MegaST's will have the same buggy OS.  Given that, I
certainly don't plan on doing a hardware "upgrade" nor do I plan to
suggest the Atari line to anyone else.

I wonder when the folks at Atari will realize that all we really want is a
machine that works.

Bart

BTW, the same rep implied that with the patches to the 40 folder limit
that have recently appeared, Atari wasn't planning on releasing a fix.  Long
live GEMBOOT.

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (04/22/87)

In article <617@elmgate.UUCP> jdg@aurora.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) writes:
>             Accessories loaded:
>				NEWDESK.ACC  (Fixed control panel etc.)
>				PRINT-IT!    (v0.94 QMI beta product written by my brother)

I can imagine what PRINT-IT does, but NEWDESK.ACC sounds interesting
(especially since I never run CONTROL.ACC because it insists on rounding
down the clock time to the lower minute) and I have not seen it pass here.
Post?

akw@osupyr.UUCP (FarOff MicroDesigns) (04/24/87)

In article <469@cernvax.UUCP> jmg@cernvax.UUCP () writes:
>(especially since I never run CONTROL.ACC because it insists on rounding
>down the clock time to the lower minute) and I have not seen it pass here.
>Post?
Yes, please post or send to Jim Turner.  By the way, don't normal clocks
usually round to the lesser minute until the minute changes? :-)  Is the
rumor true about the ST that its time is only accurate to EVERY OTHER
MINUTE?  (I read this somewhere, I am not sure where.)

---
Andy Weaver                          	{ihnp4}|cbatt|osu-eddie|osupyr|akw
Hardware Technician/Troublemaker	akw@osupyr.UUCP
College of Business Computing Services	TS6471@OHSTMVSA.BITNET
The Ohio State University, Columbus, OH  "Like cold water to the bones,
					  so is good news from a distant
					  land."  --- Proverbs 25:25

Disclaimer:  If Ohio State knew I had UseNet access, they would probably
have to ask what exactly UseNet is. And how much they should charge.

jdg@elmgate.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) (04/25/87)

In article <469@cernvax.UUCP> jmg@cernvax.UUCP () writes:
>In article <617@elmgate.UUCP> jdg@aurora.UUCP (Jeff Gortatowsky) writes:
>>             Accessories loaded:
>>				NEWDESK.ACC  (Fixed control panel etc.)
>
>I can imagine what PRINT-IT does, but NEWDESK.ACC sounds interesting
>(especially since I never run CONTROL.ACC because it insists on rounding
>down the clock time to the lower minute) and I have not seen it pass here.
>Post?

It's just what I called the standard Control Panel that Atari posted
eons ago to CIS.  It fixed some bug, I forget which (there are so many).
Sorry for the confusion.

<rn limit offering>
<rn limit offering>
<rn limit offering>