[comp.sys.atari.st] Flame on TDI Modula-2!

CS117205@YUSOL.BITNET (04/25/87)

Date:     Fri, 24 Apr 87 23:23 EDT
From:     <CS117205@YUSOL.BITNET>
Subject:  Flame on TDI Modula-2!
To:       Info-Atari16@Score.Stanford.edu

        I am really ticked off!  Don't worry its not really a bug, this goes
under the `limitation' department.  I was writing a definition module in
TDI's Modula-2 (Ver 2.00A, Developer's version), and I came across two
annoying characteristics with this compiler.

        The first has to do with the data types which you are permitted to
use with procedure functions (M-2's equivalent of a Pascal function).  I
have a set of procedure functions which return vector records (specifically
state information data structures).  Well, I stick my definition module
which contained the aforementioned procedure functions, through the compiler,
and guess what I get?  A lovely little error 88 in those procedure functions.
I look up in the manual and it says that an error 88 is "function type is
not scalar or basic type".  Why does TDI assume that I will never need to pass
a descriptor between modules?  That really infuriates me, especially after
what I spent for the original version and then the second upgrade.

        The other thing is sets.  Why does Modula-2, limit me to only 128
elements in a large set?  What if I was creating some routines which
required set elements greater than that number (for example the ASCII
character set)?

        My question to anyone out there who is using Modula-2 is, are these
bugs fixed in the new version (version 3.0X)?  I have not got the third
upgrade and I am debating on whether I should.  Any help would be much
appreciated.

                                                      Brian.

"Every day, I get closer and closer.....to getting a Mac+!!!"