[comp.sys.atari.st] Note to BITNET users

XCG112@DBNUAMA1.BITNET (04/27/87)

.... <bh0u%clutx.bitnet@forsythe.stanford.edu>writes:

>Although people have mentioned the problem with IBM hosts in changing
>carets to tildes, there's another one I haven't seen mentioned lately ...
>
>** ALL TRAILING SPACES ARE REMOVED BY RSCS ...
>
>This means that you'll have to wander through your uuencoded file and
>make all lines of uniform length, be it by hand or otherwise.  ...

Not so!  There is (or there used to be) a UUDECODE written in Assembler that
takes care of the problem automatically, i. e. by pretending there are spaces
up to the full line length.

It used to be available at the KERMIT server KERMSRV@CUVMA. I've improved it
a little (it now takes a file name from the command line), and it's also
faster than most other UUDECODEs I've seen.

I haven't posted it, so as not to add to the confusion - there must be at least
a dozen different versions out by now. But if you need it desperately, say so
(INCLUDING a return path from BITNET), and I'll send it to you. If you want to,
you can easily include a routine that changes those tildes back to carats.

Bitnet:  XCG112@DBNUAMA1                              Volker A. Brandt
ARPAnet: XCG112%DBNUAMA1@WISCVM.WISC.EDU              (Bonn, West Germany)