[comp.sys.atari.st] Crash and Burn!!!

cs3c3cg@maccs.UUCP (Ray ) (04/14/87)

A VERY serious problem has just fallen upon my 1040.

One day it was working fine, and all of a sudden, it refuses
read about half of my disks!!!!

It is bizarre, the other half of my disks work perfectly,
but the other half about 20 of them just refuse to even boot up!!

Stranger still, I take them over to a friends ST and they work
fine!!!!

Does anyone out there have any ideas for the sudden strange behaviour
of my machine???  I find this very strange for only a 4 month old
computer, and in my opinion does not reflect very well on Atari's
quality control.

                      ...... Ray Wong .......
                  seismo!mnetor!lsuc!maccs!cs3c3cg

csan@its63b.UUCP (04/27/87)

In article <534@maccs.UUCP> cs3c3cg@maccs.UUCP (Ray ) writes:

>One day it was working fine, and all of a sudden, it refuses
>read about half of my disks!!!!
>Stranger still, I take them over to a friends ST and they work
>fine!!!!
>
>Does anyone out there have any ideas for the sudden strange behaviour
>of my machine???  I find this very strange for only a 4 month old
>computer, and in my opinion does not reflect very well on Atari's
>quality control.

Have you cleaned your disk heads ? I found this on my first computer ...
If I didnt clean the heads regularily, I could not get the drive to read
anything from the disks.

(Sorry for posting to the net .... any attempts to post mail failed.)

Andie Ness . Department of Computer Science
              EDINBURGH University.

                   ARPA:  csan%ed.itspna@ucl-cs.arpa
                   UUCP:  ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!itspna!csan
                   JANET: csan@uk.ac.ed.itspna

% These are my own views and any resemblance to any coherent reasoning is
% probably a typo.
%
%  "The back row strikes again!"