[comp.sys.atari.st] New 40-folder solver ???

uh@exunido.UUCP (04/17/87)

This morning I called the first time the Atari BBS in Raunheim near
Frankfurt a.M. of Atari Germany. Surprise: There is a program, which
should catch the 40-folder limit: foldrxxx.prg. The docs say, that you have
to put it into the \AUTO folder with the three "x" replaced by the number of
folders you wish to handle. So if you have less than 200 folders on your
disks, name the progtam folder200.prg. But now one drawback: I havn't yet
installed the program by myself, as I'm very satisfied with Konrad Hahn's
GEMBOOT. So please, don't shoot me, if the program does anything wrong with
your harddisk or floppies. Please back up before you use it and PLEASE
don't ask me any questions regarding the program. I just got it from a BBS.
If you are interested in the phone number:
Germany/(0)6142/21161, 8N1, 300/1200 Baud.
And now the uucoded program:
--------------------------- cut here -------------------------
begin 644 foldrxxx.arc
M&@A&3TQ$4EA86"Y04D< DP(  )$.17]/]P $   ,8#0  "" &0!( W <'$#D
MH ,4;P 08,%"(B=&2=@!$!1$(X$A^@1H@;,!0K8HR/[Q$W+J!P\ ()P$X?+D
M!0"7,,,,E"23IAD?.@.8\)%CX  8SO@!$.*-UT) O Z]T2#DS(L#.&. 8 *C
M*("C4X L:0< @A./2/0 D($S0<\G(/@,+/@"0=NW. 7D==($RQ.< 7 RD:F$
MGY,W=$"4<?.FSADT(-J4:?-&3AX0=-Z "$.&# @S;]B0*2-GCHL&"@"8P$-
MGHHU,!FL<: $@ <V$H+H T!!!(8S Y6HP")K%0 ,9N3! >"D3@00&0H-M!+2
M0 9#T_41('$]NX$ W0'X20V)0UH #N[.? (G0/,A8=R<2,S9,VC1I.=@UDP'
M31K]=N27QAMN@/"&&2!0\<04J WTPDM?$8"3!GA!^.!<&N#DA$Q0/*$$$+ !
M0(@? "P71#Y&G0#!;QK \I(+9U  "0 OP; &&BX"H  ;8B2EHS= @"'.#,<8
M!<,90'R3AY'+P7" 33H!8(Q?<<UU3EWJT>0C(5=%J0J5<A&D#Y8ON;5><Q<2
MM$263X !@#]PI"G "FRZZ8\77 11A8)<&/$$$T1(H8(+4$AQ! #PN<%88F:D
MX89G>>[Y1)]_!NH&0H0:FIH0G('@1AUMB$&:@0C>-UII(,P!1QECI-%H&62X
MD!JBZ"P%0B(QR$7 /_Z D 1*_\ 30A7_^*("(X3Q<Z)1,H!@$P& **4 $D!
M4R,$P% +C%, _/./&>H,@>)7/$@ 3BQ*?26#&?8(D4&: _# 9G.H(9$&?6Y<
MMD89EV6F&![WNH!0@__2(4<8GX5VJGZ.@@"3&'G04<8<#4)2@ \><*".!!B0
/@( $'$@@@2 @($!>,QH

end
---------------------- cut here ------------------------------
I hope the program will work.

     Uwe Hoch
     Computer Science Department, University of Dortmund, IRB
     4600 Dortmund 50, P.O. Box 500500, W.-Germany
     E-mail address UUCP  : uh@unido.uucp (...seismo!unido!uh)
		    BITNET: uh@unido.bitnet

turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (04/22/87)

in article <119100011@exunido.UUCP>, uh@exunido.UUCP says:
+---------------------------------------------------------
+ Nf-ID: #N:exunido:119100011:000:2214
+ Nf-From: exunido!uh    Apr 17 18:02:00 1987
+
+ This morning I called the first time the Atari BBS in Raunheim near
+ Frankfurt a.M. of Atari Germany. Surprise: There is a program, which
+ should catch the 40-folder limit: foldrxxx.prg. The docs say, that you have
+ to put it into the \AUTO folder with the three "x" replaced by the number of
+---------------------------------------------------------
before everyone goes running amok with this, a few points:

1) if this is the program that Landon wrote (and i suspect it is)
then it is Atari Corp. propietary etc. and by copying it you are
violating the usual copywrite laws.

2) if you MUST, let me at least make sure that this is the latest
and greatest version, some of the earlier versions had bugs in them

3) THINK before you act, if this is not the l & g version, is it
worth risking some or all of that when-did-i-last-back-it-up? data
on your hard disk.

+---------------------------------------------------------
+ I hope the program will work.
+
+      Uwe Hoch
+      Computer Science Department, University of Dortmund, IRB
+      4600 Dortmund 50, P.O. Box 500500, W.-Germany
+      E-mail address UUCP  : uh@unido.uucp (...seismo!unido!uh)
+ 		    BITNET: uh@unido.bitnet
+---------------------------------------------------------

and if it doesn't ????

--
---------------
C'est la vie, C'est la guerre, C'est la pomme de terre

dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer) (04/23/87)

In article <119100011@exunido.UUCP>, uh@exunido.UUCP writes:
> This morning I called the first time the Atari BBS in Raunheim near
> Frankfurt a.M. of Atari Germany. Surprise: There is a program, which
> should catch the 40-folder limit: foldrxxx.prg.

Yep.  Writing software at Atari Corp. is interesting, because the
place leaks pre-release software like a sieve.  The 'foldrxxx.prg'
program was indeed written here (by yours truly) and matches the
current, working version of the folder-adder.

--
-Landon Dyer, Atari Corp.	    {sun,lll-lcc,imagen}!atari!dyer

The views expressed here do not not
necessarily reflect those of Atari Corp.	Segments are for worms.

vlsi@cwruecmp.UUCP (Hackers Galore) (04/26/87)

In article <716@atari.UUCP> dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer) writes:
>Yep.  Writing software at Atari Corp. is interesting, because the
>place leaks pre-release software like a sieve.  The 'foldrxxx.prg'

Landon,
What `trick' do you use to pick up the program name from the
command line, and normally argv[0] is not avail, but obviously
you are picking it up somehow. Is there a fool proof way of doing
this without mucking around in Gemdos areas?

			{decvax,cbatt,sun,cbosgd}cwruecmp!ba0]r

dyer@atari.UUCP (04/29/87)

> What `trick' do you use to pick up the program name from the
> command line, and normally argv[0] is not avail, but obviously
> you are picking it up somehow.

It is a hack.  The folder adder simply does an Fsfirst() on
"\AUTO\FOLDR*.PRG" and looks at the result.  It searches for itself.
This was suggested by my esteemed colleague Allan Pratt as one of the
most trivial user interfaces possible.

> Is there a fool proof way of doing
> this without mucking around in Gemdos areas?

I was going to answer "No!", but I just thought of something.
Have to think about it ....

--

john@polyof.UUCP ( John Buck ) (05/03/87)

In article <2062@cwruecmp.UUCP>, vlsi@cwruecmp.UUCP (Hackers Galore) writes:
> In article <716@atari.UUCP> dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer) writes:
> >Yep.  Writing software at Atari Corp. is interesting, because the
> >place leaks pre-release software like a sieve.  The 'foldrxxx.prg'
>
> Landon,
> What `trick' do you use to pick up the program name from the
> command line, and normally argv[0] is not avail

I would say the way he probably did it was to use snext(), and read the
/auto directory looking for something like fold???.prg.  (IE we know
that it's going to be in /auto).

Pretty simple piece of code.  I do not think that was any argv[0] trick
involved.

John Buck
trixie!polyofcontai