[comp.sys.atari.st] EMACS, GNU, other goodies

billw@ncoast.UUCP (04/22/87)

What is GNU? How does the recently posted GNU EMACS fit in? How can I become a
beta tester for this stuff? (Yes, I know, proper English usage rule #2791:
Avoid colloquial stuff.) The little bit I have heard about GNU is very
tantalizing, and it is frustrating when it is assumed that all readers have
basic knowledge of "what's a GNU?" as a given..
--
Bill Wisner: "You're kidding, right?"
..{sdcsvax,ihnp4}!jack!wolf!billw

tower@bu-cs.UUCP (04/24/87)

In article <2404@ncoast.UUCP> billw@wolf.UUCP (Bill Wisner) writes:
 > What is GNU? How does the recently posted GNU EMACS fit in? How can I
 > become a
 > beta tester for this stuff? (Yes, I know, proper English usage rule #2791:
 > Avoid colloquial stuff.) The little bit I have heard about GNU is very
 > tantalizing, and it is frustrating when it is assumed that all readers have
 > basic knowledge of "what's a GNU?" as a given..
 > --
 > Bill Wisner: "You're kidding, right?"
 > ..{sdcsvax,ihnp4}!jack!wolf!billw
 > ..cwruecmp!ncoast!billw

These questions can be answered by asking the address:
	gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu
	..!ucbvax!prep.ai.mit.edu!gnu

enjyo -len

--
Len Tower, Distributed Systems Group, Boston University,
     111 Cummington Street, Boston, MA  02215, USA +1 (617) 353-2780

sandra@utah-cs.UUCP (04/24/87)

In article <6906@bu-cs.BU.EDU>, tower@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) writes:
> In article <2404@ncoast.UUCP> billw@wolf.UUCP (Bill Wisner) writes:
>  > What is GNU? How does the recently posted GNU EMACS fit in? (....)
>
> These questions can be answered by asking the address:
> 	gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu
> 	..!ucbvax!prep.ai.mit.edu!gnu

(Doesn't anybody ever read the README file?)

The "recently posted GNU EMACS" in question is actually MicroGnuEmacs (MG),
which is *not* GNU and has no official relationship to Richard Stallman
or the Free Software Foundation.  *Please*, don't bother these folks with
questions on something that had nothing to do with!  The correct address
for comments and questions about MG is mg-support@ucbvax.berkeley.edu.

-Sandra

billw@wolf.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (04/25/87)

>Article <4524@utah-cs.UUCP>: sandra@utah-cs.UUCP (Sandra J Loosemore)
>>Article <6906@bu-cs.BU.EDU>: tower@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.)
>>>Article <2404@ncoast.UUCP>: billw@wolf.UUCP (Bill Wisner, that's me)
>>> What is GNU? How does the recently posted GNU EMACS fit in? (....)

I confess, I asked a very dumb question. I didn't think first and was half
asleep. My apologies. I left out a word.

>> These questions can be answered by asking the address: (....)

My question is still unanswered, though, and it is "what is GNU?" Thank you,
Leonard, for the address.

> (Doesn't anybody ever read the README file?)

Yes.

> The "recently posted GNU EMACS" in question is actually MicroGnuEmacs (MG),
> which is *not* GNU and has no official relationship to Richard Stallman
> or the Free Software Foundation.  *Please*, don't bother these folks with
> questions on something that had nothing to do with!  The correct address
> for comments and questions about MG is mg-support@ucbvax.berkeley.edu.

The comments in the README file STILL weren't the clearest, especially for
someone who doesn't know "what's a GNU?"
--
Bill Wisner
..{sdcsvax,ihnp4}!jack!wolf!billw

ram-ashwin@YALE.ARPA.UUCP (05/05/87)

GNU (pronounced "g-noo"), which stands for Gnu's Not Unix, is the name for
the complete Unix-compatible software system which Richard Stallman of the
MIT AI Lab started writing so that he could give it away FREE to everyone who
could use it.  Several programmers have joined him, and they have written
several pieces of wonderful software, including Gnu Emacs, C, Pascal, YACC,
and a lot more.  Their philosophy, in a line, is that "copying all or parts
of a program is as natural to a programmer as breathing, and as productive.
It ought to be as free", and that "if I like a program I must share it with
other people who like it" [from the Gnu Emacs manual].

For more info, try reading comp.emacs (or get on the corresponding mailing
list called info-gnu-emacs@prep.mit.edu), or write to FSF, 1000 Mass Ave.,
Cambridge, MA 02138.

By the way, Gnu software is free, and everyone's allowed to modify and
redistribute it freely, but it's NOT in the public domain.

-- Ashwin Ram --

Any misrepresentations of the GNU project are totally unintentional.  I have
no connections with GNU or FSF except as a satisfied user.

ARPA:    Ram-Ashwin@yale
UUCP:    {decvax,linus,seismo}!yale!Ram-Ashwin
BITNET:  Ram@yalecs

tower@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) (05/06/87)

In article <8705052001.AA06517@yale-eli.arpa> ram-ashwin@YALE.ARPA (Ashwin Ram) writes:
 > GNU (pronounced "g-noo"), which stands for Gnu's Not Unix, is the name for
 > the complete Unix-compatible software system which Richard Stallman of the
 > MIT AI Lab started writing so that he could give it away FREE to everyone who
 > could use it.  ...

 > For more info, try reading comp.emacs (or get on the corresponding mailing
 > list called info-gnu-emacs@prep.mit.edu), or write to FSF, 1000 Mass Ave.,
 > Cambridge, MA 02138.
 >
 > By the way, Gnu software is free, and everyone's allowed to modify and
 > redistribute it freely, but it's NOT in the public domain.
 >
 > -- Ashwin Ram --
 >
 > Any misrepresentations of the GNU project are totally unintentional.  I have
 > no connections with GNU or FSF except as a satisfied user.

Ashwin: Nice Summary.

1) There is not yet a Pascal available.  GCC is out in a preliminary
test version for vax's and Sun's.  It would NOT be hard to add a front
end for Pascal and the small amount of needed back-end support.

2) If you wish to join info-gnu-emacs, ask the address
	info-gnu-emacs-REQUEST@prep.ai.mit.edu
Otherwise you will needlessly bother thousands of people with your
request.

3) Further information on GNU is available from the address:
	gnu@prep.ai.mit.edu

4) Though GNU Software is free, people may charge to distribute or
maintain it.  They have to provide you with full source code though
and can NOT restrict you from redistributing the source code.  See the
GNU Public License for full details.

enjoy -len

PS: prep's uucp path is ..!ucbvax!prep.ai.mit.edu!..