[comp.sys.atari.st] need working chkdsk, disktop2

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (05/02/87)

The title says it all. My version of disktop2 resolutely refuses to
delete disks, as well as failing completely if GDOS is included.
I got another copy from the UACE server, but that was just the same
as mine. chkdsk does not appear to be on any server that I can access,
and mine resolutely returns straight back to the desktop regardless of
what parameters I give it (and I have been given the info on what
parameters are needed).

For the record, I am using gemboot, and have no problems (yet) with
around 80 folders on the Atari hard disk. I also think that the
backup program given in the spring version of STart is very good.

john@viper.UUCP (John Stanley) (05/08/87)

In article <472@cernvax.UUCP> jmg@cernvax.UUCP () writes:
 > chkdsk does not appear to be on any server that I can access,
 >and mine resolutely returns straight back to the desktop regardless of
 >what parameters I give it (and I have been given the info on what
 >parameters are needed).

  Chkdsk for the ST?  Does such a thing exist?

  If so, would someone please tell me where they found it?  I've had
more than one instance where having chkdsk would have removed a lot
of worry about a few cases where a disk might have gotten fried (or
might not...)  (If it doesn't exist, I may end up having to write it,
but I'd really rather not if at all possible.)

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john

bruce@ektools.UUCP (Bruce D. Nelson ) (05/08/87)

There appears to be some confusion in the (ST) world about an ST program
called chkdsk.

The one which most of us would really like to see is an ST clone of the
MS-DOS chkdsk which checks the FAT for consistency and can optionally
repair the FAT,

The one which is in circulation in the ST world has something to do with
hard drives and definitely didn't work on floppies. I had a copy once, but,
not having a hard drive :-( it didn't do anything for me.

Is there anyone out there who has come up with an MS-DOS type chkdsk?

Bruce D. Nelson, Sr. Appl. Analyst: Software Maint., Tech. Support Svcs.
EASTMAN KODAK COMPANY, 901 Elmgrove Rd., Rochester, NY 14650, (716)726-7890
UUCP:   {allegra, seismo}!rochester!kodak!ektools!bruce
ARPA:   kodak!ektools!bruce@rochester.ARPA