[comp.sys.atari.st] computer bashing

DAVIDLI@SIMVAX.BITNET (05/08/87)

Date:     Fri, 8 May 87 13:34 CST
From:     <DAVIDLI@SIMVAX.BITNET> (System Manager)
Subject:  computer bashing
To:       info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

> Jeff Gortatowsky       {seismo,allegra}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg

>Waiting to scoff?  You mean humor does not exists the comp.sys.atari.st?
>It sure as heck does!  Don't you laugh at saving 100's of dollars over
>the Amiga only to get A).  A piece of hardware that frys itself if you
>sneeze.  B). A ROM'ed OS that isn't an OS.  B1) A ROM'ed OS that loves
>losing memory (hell what's an OS supposed to do?).  B2) A *ROM'ed* OS
>that figures if you want more than 40 directories your too disorganized
>and should start over.  C) Tech support who plays games on GENIE
>(sheesh, you;d figure they'd use the ST, that's all it does well!).  D)
>Tech support that thinks $A000 is a pricing list mis-print.

I have never seen such a sad attempt at sarcasm, not to mention a total
lack of understanding of the word "humor".  Mr. Gortatowsky has obviously
been disenchanted with his machine.  I expect he would have been happier
spending a few thousand dollars more and buying a REAL computer.  I understand
that a very nice UNIX box can be purchased for less than $10,000 ...

For the record:  I didn't buy an Atari 1040ST hoping for a "cheap Amiga".
I bought it because (A) it had more compute power than my Apple //e;
(B) there were a number of good, inexpensive compilers available; (C) it
had all of the graphics capability that I'd need over the next two or threee
years.

>USENET *does* have a few of these people I admit.  The ST community at
>large does not know the meaning of the word 'knowledgeable'.

I interpret these two sentences as an insult.  Mr. Gortatowsky may impugn
the machine all he desires.  Generalized intimations regarding the
intelligence of those who are going to read his message (and who own Atari
ST microcomputers) are insulting, and less-than-proper etiquette.

>As I said  A) EMAIL!! NOT THE NET.  Can't you read!!???
>           B) Atari owners are fanatic (and somewhat blind).

I can read.  If Mr. Gortatowsky hadn't written his insults out onto the net, I
wouldn't be posting a reply to the net.  He's effectively saying "I can scream
and shout all I want, but you can only whisper your reply into my ear."

*ALL* microcomputer owners are a bit fanatic and blind.  Microcomputers are
NOT necessary to life as we know it on earth, and must be justified in some
manner.  Brand loyalty is quite similar to that of the "hi-fi" owner - complete
with the "my stuff sounds better than your stuff" mentality.

-- Dave Meile                           davidli@simvax.bitnet

                  Send interesting comments to INFO-ATARI16
                     Send FLAMES to davidli@simvax.bitnet

kevin@Lindy.UUCP (05/09/87)

In article <8705081859.AA18336@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> DAVIDLI@SIMVAX.BITNET writes:
>> Jeff Gortatowsky       {seismo,allegra}!rochester!kodak!elmgate!jdg
>>USENET *does* have a few of these people I admit.  The ST community at
>>large does not know the meaning of the word 'knowledgeable'.
>I interpret these two sentences as an insult.  Mr. Gortatowsky may impugn
>the machine all he desires.  Generalized intimations regarding the
>intelligence of those who are going to read his message (and who own Atari
>ST microcomputers) are insulting, and less-than-proper etiquette.
Right on! I'm getting pretty damned sick of these Amigoids.  If he's so
@#$@#$ unhappy with his Atari, why doesn't he hit the big 'u' next time he
comes to this group?
I think the system administrators need to have a word with this 'jdg' person
about the meaning of the word 'nettiquete'... I wonder if he ever read the
messages in 'mod.announce.newusers' (or whatever the list was called) when
he first started reading netnews.
--
---
Kevin Burnett