[comp.sys.atari.st] GEMBOOT hints

XBR4D76H@DDATHD21.BITNET.UUCP (05/07/87)

Date:     Thu,  7 May 87 02:43:43 +0200 (Central European Sommer Time)
From:     XBR4D76H@DDATHD21.BITNET
Subject:  GEMBOOT hints
To:       info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

If you are using GEMBOOT.PRG (V1.6) with AHDI.PRG (V1.6) you shouldn't
have more than 214 folders on your hard disk.
Without AHDI.PRG the limit should be 150 folders.
Within these limits you are save and spare the fixed system memory area
for floppy folders and memory descriptors.

If you are having other *.PRG files beside GEMBOOT in your \AUTO folder
you should be aware that before GEMBOOT has logged the hard disk any file
access might cause faulty cached folders. It is better to invoke these
*.PRGs via the boot batch feature and have them outside the \AUTO folder.
Sure, the hard disk driver is an exception.

If you have a ROM-TOS version dated 06/01/1986 or later, don't use the
V1.6 version of GEMBOOT. For these ROM-TOS versions the address of the
GEMDOS internal pointer array to the system free lists has changed.

The initialization of the DESKTOP environment string by GEMBOOT might
cause problems with shells which uses an MSDOS incompatible environment
string format (as MSH, I guess).
Perhaps, someone at ATARI could comment the correct environment string
format which should be used with the ST ?
Especially whether there should be a '\0' behind '=' and the correct multi
path separator character (';' versus '\0') is questionable.

  Konrad A. Hahn
  BITNET: XBR4D76H@DDATHD21

jmg@cernvax.UUCP (jmg) (05/09/87)

In article <8705070045.AA05028@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> Konrad Hahn writes:
>If you are having other *.PRG files beside GEMBOOT in your \AUTO folder
>you should be aware that before GEMBOOT has logged the hard disk any file
>access might cause faulty cached folders. It is better to invoke these
>*.PRGs via the boot batch feature and have them outside the \AUTO folder.
>Sure, the hard disk driver is an exception.

Having been running happily with GEMBOOT as the last of my auto
programs to be executed I have also become dependent on a utility in
the auto folder which allows me to choose which auto programs and
accessories I want to run (doing the usual trick of renaming them *.pr1,
*.ac1 etc.). This executes in the auto folder after the auto programs
that I always want (settime etc.), but before those I might not want
(nite, spool etc.). I have found from bitter experience that if I have
too many auto programs and accessories funny things happen.
I do not ecactly see how I could have the same facility with the boot
batch feature. Therefore, unless it is likely to cause real problems
(is it?) I prefer to leave it at the end of the auto folder.