[comp.sys.atari.st] ST memory management

burris@ihuxz.UUCP (05/06/87)

Does anyone know of ANY programs that play funny games with the memory
allocation and free lists that cause valid holes in memory?

I was considering hacking up a memory list audit that monitors the lists
and attempts to correct them when block of memory becomes "lost".

Specifically, I need to know if there are any reasons why there would be
valid holes in the lists between the bottom and the top of the user program
memory. It doesn't seem that there should be but then things aren't always
as they seem.

I noticed using gemmem that there is ~60K missing upon booting.

Dave Burris
ihnp4!ihuxz!burris

john@viper.UUCP (John Stanley) (05/09/87)

In article <2060@ihuxz.ATT.COM> burris@ihuxz.ATT.COM (Burris) writes:

 >Does anyone know of ANY programs that play funny games with the memory
 >allocation and free lists that cause valid holes in memory?
 >
 >I was considering hacking up a memory list audit that monitors the lists
 >and attempts to correct them when block of memory becomes "lost".
 >
 >Specifically, I need to know if there are any reasons why there would be
 >valid holes in the lists between the bottom and the top of the user program
 >memory. It doesn't seem that there should be but then things aren't always
 >as they seem.

  Depends on when you'd be running this "audit".  Inside of any program
that allocates and frees memory, there will certanly be times when
"holes" will appear in the memory map.  The same thing can occur when
a program shifts its stack area into a malloced block of memory or maybe
when a program terminates leaving part of itself behind...  (not sure
on that last one...)

  A better solution might be to hack up a fix for the memory managment
routines already in ROM...