[comp.sys.atari.st] Uniterm problem

SYSTEM@UVPHYS.BITNET (05/07/87)

Date:     Thu, 7 May 87 09:15 PDT
From:     <SYSTEM@UVPHYS.BITNET> (NAME NIK ZAPANTIS)
Subject:  Uniterm problem
To:       info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

  I am having a small problem with UNITERM 1.7b and the RS-232 port on the ST.

I am using the ST and Uniterm to communicate with a VAX/VMS system over a
direct line, which is set to AUTOBAUD by VMS. I have set my UNITERM.SET file
so uniterm will communicate at 9600baud. And here is the problem; somehow, the
VAX reads the RS-232 port BEFORE the UNITERM.SET file is executed, and as a
result sets my line to 19200baud--max baud rate for the ST--. The UNITERM.SET
file is then executed, resets the ST port to 9600, and I cannot communicate
with the host, without changing the rate to 19200.

Any ideas on how to go about fixing this little problem?

I can certainly operate at 19200, but I found that when I display large files
on the screen, the buffer overflows and I get garbage.

Nik Zapantis
UVIC, Physics
Victoria, BC
(604)721-7729

SYSTEM@UVPHYS.BITNET

billw@wolf.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (05/10/87)

: From:     <SYSTEM@UVPHYS.BITNET> (NAME NIK ZAPANTIS)
:
: I am having a small problem with UNITERM 1.7b and the RS-232 port on the ST.
:
: I am using the ST and Uniterm to communicate with a VAX/VMS system over a
: direct line, which is set to AUTOBAUD by VMS. I have set my UNITERM.SET file
: so uniterm will communicate at 9600baud. And here is the problem; somehow, the
: VAX reads the RS-232 port BEFORE the UNITERM.SET file is executed, and as a
: result sets my line to 19200baud--max baud rate for the ST--. The UNITERM.SET
: file is then executed, resets the ST port to 9600, and I cannot communicate
: with the host, without changing the rate to 19200.
:
: Any ideas on how to go about fixing this little problem?

I don't know that much about VMS, but try turning autobaud off.

: I can certainly operate at 19200, but I found that when I display large files
: on the screen, the buffer overflows and I get garbage.

If you have version 1.7b, you can change the size of the RS232 buffer on the
startup screen. Try, oh, 30000. If none of that works, I guess you're up the
creek without a mouse, stuck with 19200 and liberal use of ^S. (Now, there's
an idea.. if your buffer keeps overfilling, XON/XOFF should help...)

: Any help with this would be appreciated.
--
Bill Wisner
..{sdcsvax,ihnp4}!jack!wolf!billw