[comp.sys.atari.st] FOLDRxxx.PRG and ROM-TOS versions

XBR4D76H@DDATHD21.BITNET (05/07/87)

Date:     Thu,  7 May 87 01:40:44 +0200 (Central European Sommer Time)
From:     XBR4D76H@DDATHD21.BITNET
Subject:  FOLDRxxx.PRG and ROM-TOS versions
To:       info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

In digest 185 uh@unido.uucp (...seismo!unido!uh), Uwe Hoch posted a program
FOLDRxxx.PRG, he got from ATARI BBS in Raunheim. The program "should catch
the 40-folder limit" as he was told.
I analyzed FOLDRxxx.PRG and found that it does *not* fix the TOS bug.
It adds a number of system blocks as AHDI.PRG and GEMBOOT.PRG does, but
without any drive logging this does only delay the system crash.

Nevertheless this small program was disclosing that there exists (at least)
4 different ROM-TOS versions with following release dates:
  11/20/1985
  02/06/1986
  04/24/1986
  06/01/1986

I should be glad if someone of ATARI (Neil ?) would comment the differences
and the bug fix status of these TOS releases.
Thanks in advance.

  Konrad A. Hahn
  BITNET: XBR4D76H@DDATHD21

dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer) (05/08/87)

> I analyzed FOLDRxxx.PRG and found that it does *not* fix the TOS bug.
> It adds a number of system blocks as AHDI.PRG and GEMBOOT.PRG does, but
> without any drive logging this does only delay the system crash.

The <expletive inserted> who pirated FOLDRxxx.PRG from Atari neglected
to include three other files intended to be distributed with the
software.  (There are three programs, plus one file containing
documentation which carefully explains just what the limitations of
the folder adder are).

> Nevertheless this small program was disclosing that there exists (at least)
> 4 different ROM-TOS versions with following release dates:
>   11/20/1985
>   02/06/1986
>   04/24/1986
>   06/01/1986
>
> I should be glad if someone of ATARI (Neil ?) would comment the differences
> and the bug fix status of these TOS releases.

The different dates are for various international versions of TOS;
they differ only in keyboard mapping and the text for resources.

--
-Landon Dyer, Atari Corporation	       {sun,amdcad,lll-lcc,imagen}!atari!dyer
The views expressed here do not necessarily reflect those	     SEGMENTS

burris@ihuxz.ATT.COM (Burris) (05/11/87)

In article <724@atari.UUCP>, dyer@atari.UUCP (Landon Dyer) writes:

> The <expletive inserted> who pirated FOLDRxxx.PRG from Atari neglected
> to include three other files intended to be distributed with the
> software.  (There are three programs, plus one file containing
> documentation which carefully explains just what the limitations of
> the folder adder are).

	I would like to know when we can expect a supported (or at least
official) version of FOLDRxxx.PRG. I would also like to know if it really
fixes the 40 folder problem (bug?) or if it just takes up memory space.
I would gladly pay a modest fee for a version that I know works.

	Should I expect this to happen or should I begin using GEMBOOT.PRG?

Dave Burris
ihnp4!ihuxz!burris