[comp.sys.atari.st] Bad floppies

braner@batcomputer.UUCP (04/30/87)

[]

I've been using 3.5" diskettes for about a year now.  When I got my ST,
I bought a bunch of BASF brand diskettes 'cause they were cheap.  They
are rated DSDD and "guaranteed for life".  I have had about 8 or 9 of them
go bad on me since.  They seem to go bad quite predictably, after about
2 months of almost-daily light use.  Something physically breaks down,
since reformatting them fails.

I have refrained from flaming BASF on the net till now, but this is
ridiculous!  I have used SONY diskettes a lot too, and _not_one_ has
given me problems yet.  Moral: DON'T USE BASF 3.5" DSDD DISKETTES!

- Moshe Braner

PS: Just yesterday I called a mail-order place that advertises Sony diskettes
for a good price.  They told me they were out of Sony, but have BASF.  They
never mentioned BASF in their ad.  Do you smell something fishy?

jeff@jplpub1.UUCP (04/30/87)

In article <843@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> braner@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu.UUCP (braner) writes:
>given me problems yet.  Moral: DON'T USE BASF 3.5" DSDD DISKETTES!
>
>PS: Just yesterday I called a mail-order place that advertises Sony diskettes
>for a good price.  They told me they were out of Sony, but have BASF.  They
>never mentioned BASF in their ad.  Do you smell something fishy?

"Fishy", as in BAIT and switch?  Yes!  Who are these people?  "out of
Sony", meaning they don't want to send someone back to Tokyo to pick up
more?  They don't have a distributor?  Isn't there a mail order association
to report this company to?  What a bunch of nonsense!  They don't want to
sell Sony at that price, or want to get rid of the BASF junk!

On the other hand, I'd think that a company that's been in the magnetic
media business as long as BASF would want to rectify any problems with
their product...  There might be some temporary QC problems...

Jeff Skaletsky
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
System Engineering Group
Computing and Communication Network Support Services

Try these:	jeff@jplpub1.JPL.NASA.GOV
		seismo!cit-vax!elroy!jplpub1!jeff
		elroy!jplpub1!jeff@csvax.caltech.edu
		jeff@jpl-milvax.ARPA

Mail: 464 W. Woodbury Rd.  Altadena, CA 91001
Phone: (818)354-7677

jdn@homxc.UUCP (J.NAGY) (05/01/87)

[]
I'm sorry to read on the net that Moshe had such problems with
BASF floppies and I appreciate the posting.  I've had good luck
with SONY floppies but have also had some problems locating them
in stores.  In this case, I often buy the Verbatim DataLife.  The
larger disk packs ( for DEC RM05 and RP06 drives ) manufactured by
this company came out on top in rather thorough tests performed here
some years ago.  I'm hoping that they have maintained their high
manufacturing standards, and that this holds true for their mico-
floppies as well.

What have other peoples' experiences been with the various brands
of micro-floppies available?

			Jonathan Nagy
			{ihnp4|harvard|allegra}!homxc!jdn

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vincent Manis) (05/02/87)

In article <289@homxc.UUCP> jdn@homxc.UUCP (J.NAGY) writes:
>What have other peoples' experiences been with the various brands
>of micro-floppies available?

I've found that Sony and Fuji seem to be pretty good, while "no-names" seem
to span a pretty broad quality control range. I've now settled on buying
those two brands (either of which is generally on sale at less than the list
price, if you're careful, without going the mail-order route).

I have had one interesting experience: when I moved up from a Mac to an ST,
I was left with several dozen ssdd disks which were really of no use to me.
Most of these disks were acquired a couple of years ago, at a time when one
rarely saw dsdd disks anywhere (at least in Vancouver). They were all Sony.

I've found that almost all of these will format dsdd with no problems (i.e.,
Format reports 726016 bytes), and, in general, I've had no data loss
problems with them. (Anything *really* important goes on new dsdd disks; I
may be stingy, but I'm not foolish.) However, ssdd disks which were acquired
within (say) the last year or so seem to be much riskier, and, in general,
they aren't worth the trouble.

Conjecture: at one time, Sony (at least) was not bothering to differentiate
between single and double sided. Anything that passed the single-sided test
was marketed that way (presumably because the dsdd market was limited to
low-volume machines such as the DG1). Now that dsdd disks are more in
demand, they test disks as double-sided, and only market disks as
single-sided if they fail the double test.

-----
Vincent Manis                {seismo,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!manis
Dept. of Computer Science    manis@cs.ubc.cdn
Univ. of British Columbia    manis%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1W5      manis@ubc.csnet
(604) 228-6770 or 228-3061

"The difference between capitalism and communism is obvious: under capitalism,
 man exploits man, while under communism, it is exactly the opposite."

billw@wolf.UUCP (Bill Wisner) (05/03/87)

I don't know about test results, but I almost always use Sonys. Here they are
just about all I can find, and I have never had any problems with the quality.
I have a few Maxells laying around, as well. They have never given my any
trouble, either.
--
Bill Wisner
..{sdcsvax,ihnp4}!jack!wolf!billw

trb@stag.UUCP ( Todd Burkey ) (05/05/87)

Sony SSDD and Fuji SSDD both seem very reliable on both SS and DS
drives for the ST. My Mac and Amiga seem a little pickier and really
seem to need DS diskettes for DS drives for some reason. (I have about
600 disks worth of stuff on my computers (most FUJI) and have only had
two failures (coca cola incidents). BTW if you ever completely soak a
disk with pop or something sticky, pouring alcohol (pure stuff, not
rubbing) over the disk seems to save 'em.

-Todd Burkey
 ...ihnp4!meccts!stag!trb (Polled sort of daily)
 ...ihnp4!meccts!zeke!stag!trb (Polled more often)

cew@ELVIRA.ISI.EDU.UUCP (05/09/87)

I might as well put my two cents in for this.  The only floppy to fail
me was a Verbatim ValueLife DSDD.  This is their low end disk so I guess
I should have expected it.  Their top line disks (only SS) have performed
like champions.  Other lines I've used are Maxell, 3M, BASF and Dysan.

-----				--	--	------  ------
Maxell				 X		   ~10
BASF				 X	 	   ~15
Verbatim ValueLife		 X		   ~20
Verbatim ValueLife		 	 X	   ~20       1
Verbatim* 			 X		   ~15
3M					 X	   ~10
Dysan**				 	 X	     1

*I don't remember what they call their top line.
**Haven't really gotten to these yet, but ISI buys a lot of their 5.25
floppies for the IBM PCs.

john@viper.UUCP (John Stanley) (05/09/87)

 >In article <289@homxc.UUCP> jdn@homxc.UUCP (J.NAGY) writes:
 >>What have other peoples' experiences been with the various brands
 >>of micro-floppies available?

  I have over 200 single sided Sonys formatted double sided and
have had no problems with any of them.  I also have several boxes
of other brands I bought when I was first getting into 3.5" floppys.
The "other" brands I've learned to respect the SS | DS indications
but the Sonys are a joy...  (It doesn't hurt that I've located
a local source that sells SS Sonys for $14.50 per box of 10... :)

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john

rjd@nancy.UUCP (05/11/87)

In article <8705090050.AA25476@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> cew@ELVIRA.ISI.EDU writes:
>I might as well put my two cents in for this.  The only floppy to fail
>me was a Verbatim ValueLife DSDD.  This is their low end disk so I guess
>I should have expected it.  Their top line disks (only SS) have performed
>like champions...

My experience (recently) with Verbatim has been poor. Before leaving my
old job, I purchased a box of Verbatim disks *issued "For Government and
Educational Use"* Whether these disks are Verbatim's normal brand, or
whether they are retreads sold to unsuspecting government and educational
institutions is anyone's guess.

The statistics? Out of a box of 10 DSDD diskettes, a whopping 8 disks
have failed in a six month period. (The failed disks even refuse to format.)
At first I thought it was my drive, but I have access to many Atari and
MacIntosh drives and the results are the same. If Verbatim is selling
retreads to the US govt and universities, they should be ashamed of themselves.
If these disks are their normal product line, they should be doubly ashamed of
themselves. In the several years I have been using floppies (3.5", 5.25",
or the old large format floppies) I have *never* come across a failure
rate like that.

                     - Rob DeMillo
		       Brown University - Planetary Science Group

	UUCP: 		...{seismo!harpo}!ihnp4!brunix!rjd    -- or --
			...{seismo!harpo}!ihnp4!brunix!europa!rd
	BITNET:		GE702025@BROWNVM
	SPAN:		BRNPSG::RD
	CompuServe: 	73537,2737

------
	"...I am not so sure what you want me for!
         Either your machine is a fool, or me..."   -- "WarGames", CSN

cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (05/11/87)

In article <952@viper.UUCP>, john@viper.UUCP (John Stanley) writes:
>                        ...  (It doesn't hurt that I've located
> a local source that sells SS Sonys for $14.50 per box of 10... :)
> John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)

One Hour Photo in the San Francisco Bay area sells *Double* sided Sonys
for 14.50 for a box of 10. So the point kinda becomes moot. The whole
SS/DS debate rages on and off every year and everyone decides to make
up their own minds in the matter. My only comment is that the incremental
cost of DS disks is not enough to discourage use. As the IBM PS/2 stuff
gears up the difference in price will eventually erode to near zero.

--
--Chuck McManis
These opinions are my own and no one elses. But you knew that, didn't you.