[comp.sys.atari.st] Bug report: 'The Russian Doll' sp. nova

051332@UOTTAWA.BITNET (05/08/87)

Date:         Fri, 08 May 87 12:09:20 EDT
From:         John Turnbull <051332@UOTTAWA>
Subject:      Bug report: 'The Russian Doll'  sp. nova (?)
To:           INFO-ATARI16@SCORE.STANFORD.EDU

I don't know if this is a new species of bug, or one of the known ones
in a new morph ...

The System:
Monochrome (SM124) 1040STF and a NECP6 printer

The disks:
SSDD Maxels formatted to DSDD with David Small & Dan Moore's TWISTER
with the net mods (82 tracks)

The AUTO folder:
John Franco's ETERNAL2.PRG dated 1/30/87
anon. VEROFF.PRG (this is the VEROFF half of VEROFFON.UUE from ATARINET)
M.R. Singer's TIMEDATE.PRG V1.0 10/25/85

What I did:
I was making up the masters for the DISK(s)-OF-THE-MONTH for the
OTTAWA ST users group (NCAUG), uudecoding and de-arching goodies from
ATARINET, and PROG-A16, and filing the ARCs and the .PRGs on separate
disks from the ramdisk.  The ARCs went on strait, but the .PRGs, .DOCs,
et als were put in folders.  (I must have created several dozen folders
and copied them hither and yon during the session.)  I 'discovered' that
there was no need (or did not seem to be) to change the directory in the
A window to copy from the RAM disk.  I would make a copy of a .UUE file
to the RAM disk, UUDECODE it, (UUDECODE.TTP from CANADA01), de-ARC it,
and while ARC was still stuck in ... hit any key ... remove the .UUE
disk, and put in the .ARC disk, then hit any key.  BINGO, there is the
..ARC directory.  Point to the .ARC, drag and copy into A.  THEN make a
.ARC directory.  Point to the .ARC, drag and copy into A.  THEN make a
new folder in D, copy the .PRGs, .DOCs, and things to the folder, and
pull out the .ARC disk, and put in the folder disk (NOTE:  I have not
left the D directory, and the quiet A directory still reads the .ARC
directory).  Then point to the new folder, click, drag, whizz-whizz-
blink, and the A directory reads the contents of the FOLDER disk with
the new folder!  (look, I've saved several point-ESC cycles.  At 3 in
the morning, that seemed important!)

What it did:
Everything looked OK.  If I put the FOLDER disk into the drive and hit
ESC I got the FOLDER disk directory, but if I pointed to a folder and
double-clicked to open it ...  whizz-whizz-blink  ... I got the same
directory.  All the folders 'THOUGHT' they had all the other folders
inside them!  (hence the name Russian Doll).   If I did a show info on
a folder, I got No. of Fol:   0;  No of ITEMS:  0; and Bytes used:  0.
Now if I closed the window and reopened it all was well.  Show info did
the normal thing and I could read and copy files.

Questions:
1) is this new?   (can I name it)
2) is it the 40 folder thing?   ... and what are the symptoms
3) is it the underscore thing?    (did I neglect to mention that I use
   _underscores_a_lot in filenames, and folders?  I've never been burned
   before.)
4) is there some incompatibility in the programs that I used?
5) is there a TROGEN-HORSE on ATARINET or PROG-A16?   (this beast seems
   to be infectious, the copies all have it). I could not resist testing
   some of the new thing just to see what they did.
6) is the procedure that I described above expressly prohibited on pg1
   of the ST owner's manual?

Any help or explanations would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  /JT

John Turnbull,            NETNORTH: 051332@UOTTAWA
30 Somerset Ave,          BITNET: 051332@UOTTAWA
Dept. of Biology,         ARPANET: 051332%UOTTAWA.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Univ. of Ottawa,          uucp:   ...!psuvax1!051332%uotawa.BITNET
Ottawa,  Ontario,         JANET:  051332%uottawa@rl.earn
CANADA,  K1N 6N5.         ICBM:  45 25' 33'' N  75 39' 05'' W

jmberkley@watmath.UUCP (05/09/87)

In article<8705081618.AA15013@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>051332@UOTTAWA.BITNET writes:
>Date:         Fri, 08 May 87 12:09:20 EDT
>From:         John Turnbull <051332@UOTTAWA>
>
>The System:
>Monochrome (SM124) 1040STF and a NECP6 printer
>
>The disks:
>SSDD Maxels formatted to DSDD with David Small & Dan Moore's TWISTER
>with the net mods (82 tracks)

I had some similar problems, but the best answer I could come up with
was that the problem was in twister or in the quality of my floppy
disks (SSDD Maxell's formatted to DSDD), not in my Atari.

As soon as I got twister, I decided to change my heavily used disks
over to a twister format.  That worked OK, or at least it seemed to
work OK.  There were no errors from anything.  However, after the dust
had settled, most of my ARC'd files and some of my program files were
corrupted!  Whenever I copied a folder as a folder, individual files would be
corrrupted.  Whenever I opened the folder (and the destination folder)
and then copied the files en-masse, things were fine.

'twould be nice if someone could tell me what happened and how to fix
it.  I really like using twister formatted disks (Uniterm loads up
much, much faster  :-) but have the uneasy feeling of impending doom.

Kindly advice about buying better quality diskettes, etc., will be
ignored - I'm an impoverished student after all :-)

Mike Berkley, University of Waterloo

*** Reply directly to this address, not to the address in the header ***
*                                                                      *
*UUCP:		{allegra,ihnp4,utcsri,utzoo}!watmath!watsup!mberkley   *
*Bitnet:		mberkley@watdcs.BITNET                         *
*                                                                      *

bammi@cwruecmp.UUCP (Jwahar R. Bammi) (05/10/87)

In article <8705081618.AA15013@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 051332@UOTTAWA.BITNET writes:
>Questions:
>1) is this new?   (can I name it)
>2) is it the 40 folder thing?   ... and what are the symptoms
>3) is it the underscore thing?    (did I neglect to mention that I use
>4) is there some incompatibility in the programs that I used?
>5) is there a TROGEN-HORSE on ATARINET or PROG-A16?   (this beast seems
>6) is the procedure that I described above expressly prohibited on pg1

	It is NONE of the above. It is due to the short-cut you
took. You absolutely have to do the point-ESC step, otherwise gemdos
does'nt log in the new disk. The simple solution to this problem is
to use a decent shell (like the one that we will be posting soon to
the net -- plug plug).

--
usenet: {decvax,cbatt,cbosgd,sun}!cwruecmp!bammi	jwahar r. bammi
csnet:       bammi@case

braner@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (braner) (05/10/87)

[]

If you create lots of folders anywhere (e.g. RAMdisk) you're in the
40-folders-bug's den.  Watch out!  (This is due to TOS keeping info
about folders in a finite-size area.)

If you access the same few folders repeatedly you are also courting
disaster!  (This is due to TOS creating multiple copies of info about
the same folders (a bug that I consider separate from the 40-folders
bug), and then the finite space...).  You're safe if you remove the media
periodically - but what about the RAMdisk (or Harddisk)?

I've written a program (called 'Uproot') that forces TOS to believe
the media has been changed on a specified drive.  I hope it will be
posted soon on comp.*.atari.st (it's "in the queue").  E-mail me
if you're desperate.

- Moshe Braner

pes@ux63.bath.ac.uk (Paul Smee) (05/11/87)

Sorry, I'm having a bit of trouble following your description, but I'll
make a guess anyway.  (While I don't believe I've seen any warnings about
it in the Atari manual --mine's antique anyway, so probably not definitive
-- it is true that)

If you copy something from somewhere to drive <x> (for any <x>) and you
have a window open on the screen which the system thinks is a folder
(or the top level of) drive <x>, and that window does *not* in fact
refer to (was not derived from) the actual disk which is presently
really in drive <x>, then you're likely to get into all sorts of trouble.

Sound like that could be your problem?

john@viper.UUCP (05/11/87)

In article <8705081618.AA15013@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> 051332@UOTTAWA.BITNET writes:
 >The disks:
 >SSDD Maxels formatted to DSDD with David Small & Dan Moore's TWISTER
 >with the net mods (82 tracks)

  The problem is with the original version of TWISTER.  If you swap a
twister formatted disk for another twister formatted disk, the desktop
has problems detecting the change.  The example you gave of clicking
on a folder and having the same directory appear is a symptom.  (Note:
if you click on the folder a second time, the desktop will correctly
open the folder and all is fine...)  The problems you are having are
partialy in the TWISTER and partialy your own falt for using the short
cuts you were using,, (Although you would have found things to work
differently if you were not using TWISTER disks so it's not really
your falt :)

  The solution is to run-not-walk to your local CI$ node and check in
the atari16 conference in the utilitys (I think) file area.  There you
will find a new version (Version 1.1) of twister called TWISTE.PRG.
This version solves the problems in the original version.  I've been
using it for a couple of weeks and am -very- happy with the results.

  PS:  I'd love to send the upgrade via the net, but I can't because
the program is copyrited so please don't ask...  (I imagine there will
be an upgrade sent out in a future issue of the magazine, but I don't
know for sure.  They placed it on CompuServe as a courtesy to readers
who were having problems, but with the stipulation that it not be
distributed thru any other media...)

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john

dclemans@mntgfx.MENTOR.COM (Dave Clemans) (05/12/87)

There is a bug in the floppy driver in the current TOS ROM's that can
very easily cause symptoms like those described in the article that
this message references.

Basically, the problem is that while the WD1772 floppy controller does
have a built-in read multiple sectors command, that command is somewhat
brain damaged; the only official way to terminate the read is to reset
the controller (and taking any time hit that that reset causes).

However, if you look at the floppy disk driver code you find that the
driver is using the "read multiple sectors" command of the 1772 for
all (all that I've found so far at least) floppy reads.  And under
"normal" circumstances the driver tries to never reset the controller;
i.e. it puts the read length into the DMA controller, and depends on
the floppy controller timing out because the DMA controller stops
talking to it.

This works "most" of the time...  But if your really trying to push
data through the system "fast" you have a non-zero chance of seeing
a timing problem pop up.

This problem does not affect floppy writes; only floppy reads.  The
best way to work around it, and still use "fast" formats, is to write
the disk in whatever way you desire, but NEVER try to read more than
one sector at a time (or to start out reading multiple sectors, but
switch to single sectors if an error appears).  An example of this
is the "slowread" routine in the twister restore code.

Unfortunately you don't always have control over the sizes of read
requests made by various packages...

dgc