[comp.sys.atari.st] 40 Folder Fix from Atari

CARSON@MCMASTER.BITNET (04/29/87)

Date:     Tue, 28 Apr 87 20:10 EDT
From:     <CARSON@MCMASTER.BITNET>
Subject:  40 Folder Fix from Atari
To:       info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

This is just a short note to say that Ive been using the FOLDRXXX.PRG
40 folder fix from Atari for a while now and it works well. I
havent tried GEMBOOT. I thinks its much harder to use than FOLDR300.PRG.
I still think it was great of Konrad to produce his fix though.

Richard Werezak
carson@mcmaster.BITNET, uasst4@mcmvm1.BITNET (NETNORTH)
McMaster University, Dept. Phys. Plant.

yuan@uhccux.UUCP (Yuan Chang) (04/30/87)

In article <8704290124.AA02860@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> CARSON@MCMASTER.BITNET writes:

>This is just a short note to say that Ive been using the FOLDRXXX.PRG
>40 folder fix from Atari for a while now and it works well. I
>havent tried GEMBOOT. I thinks its much harder to use than FOLDR300.PRG.
>I still think it was great of Konrad to produce his fix though.

     I was wondering, what if your decided to boot your ST from floppy one day,
and finds out that it doesn't contain GEMBOOT nor FOLDRXXX.PRG?  Slight
instant disaster I suppose?
-----
UUCP: {ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!yuan
ARPA: uhccux!yuan@nosc.ARPA                       INTERNET: yuan@UHCC.HAWAII.EDU
AT&T: (808) 395-1732        "I'm an Amigoid, she's an Amigoid, they're Amigoids,
- Yuan Chang -                          Wouldn't _y_o_u like to be an Amigoid too?"

weber_w@apollo.uucp (Walt Weber) (05/01/87)

In article <459@uhccux.UUCP> yuan@uhccux.UUCP (Yuan Chang) writes:
>     I was wondering, what if your decided to boot your ST from floppy one day,
>and finds out that it doesn't contain GEMBOOT nor FOLDRXXX.PRG?  Slight
>instant disaster I suppose?

This would not be a problem, providing that your DESKTOP.INF used during
the boot process did NOT automatically open a window (or windows) such that
more than 40 folders (including the top-level one for each open disk)
would not be "visible", and you were careful about how many folders you
see or visit during a single boot session.

--
Walt Weber               PHONE: (617) 256-6600 x7004
Apollo Computer          GENIE: W.WEBER

pete@utgpu.UUCP (05/02/87)

In article <459@uhccux.UUCP> yuan@uhccux.UUCP (Yuan Chang) writes:
>In article <8704290124.AA02860@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> CARSON@MCMASTER.BITNET writes:
>>
>>This is just a short note to say that Ive been using the FOLDRXXX.PRG
>>40 folder fix from Atari for a while now and it works well. I
>>havent tried GEMBOOT. I thinks its much harder to use than FOLDR300.PRG.
>>I still think it was great of Konrad to produce his fix though.
>>

>     I was wondering, what if your decided to boot your ST from floppy one day,
>and finds out that it doesn't contain GEMBOOT nor FOLDRXXX.PRG?  Slight
>instant disaster I suppose?

I don't think so! There is a simple solution! The ST will only
Log the Hard disk in if the Hard disk driver program is present
on the boot disk. Simply make sure foldrxxx is on any copies of
your boot disk. Even better, run HDboot and let the machine
boot off of the Hard Disk!! Wasn't that easy?!
>-----
>UUCP: {ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!yuan
>ARPA: uhccux!yuan@nosc.ARPA                       INTERNET: yuan@UHCC.HAWAII.EDU
>AT&T: (808) 395-1732        "I'm an Amigoid, she's an Amigoid, they're Amigoids,
>- Yuan Chang -                          Wouldn't _y_o_u like to be an Amigoid too?"

                              Not really. I find the Amigoid community to be
                              EXCEEDINGLY rude.

-- Pete
   pete@utgpu

turner@imagen.UUCP (05/05/87)

in article <3499fce5.1f6@apollo.uucp>, weber_w@apollo.uucp (Walt Weber) says:
+---------------------------------------------------------
+
+ In article <459@uhccux.UUCP> yuan@uhccux.UUCP (Yuan Chang) writes:
++     I was wondering, what if your decided to boot your ST from floppy one day,
++and finds out that it doesn't contain GEMBOOT nor FOLDRXXX.PRG?  Slight
++instant disaster I suppose?
+
+ This would not be a problem, providing that your DESKTOP.INF used during
+ the boot process did NOT automatically open a window (or windows) such that
+ more than 40 folders (including the top-level one for each open disk)
+ would not be "visible", and you were careful about how many folders you
+ see or visit during a single boot session.
+
+---------------------------------------------------------
i think you might do well to check that out, i believe that it is
the number of directories that the system "sees" not the luser.

--
---------------
C'est la vie, C'est la guerre, C'est la pomme de terre

yuan@uhccux.UUCP (05/08/87)

In article <1987May2.120331.17011@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> pete@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Peter Santangeli) writes:
>>     I was wondering, what if your decided to boot your ST from floppy one day,
>>and finds out that it doesn't contain GEMBOOT nor FOLDRXXX.PRG?  Slight
>>instant disaster I suppose?
>
>I don't think so! There is a simple solution! The ST will only
>Log the Hard disk in if the Hard disk driver program is present
>on the boot disk. Simply make sure foldrxxx is on any copies of
>your boot disk. Even better, run HDboot and let the machine
>boot off of the Hard Disk!! Wasn't that easy?!

     That wasn't really the point.  If you have a (say) commercial program,
and it requires you to boot from it (copy protected and all), there'll be a
chance in which such bug could creep in.  Besides, will the less experienced
used be careful enough?

>>- Yuan Chang -                          Wouldn't _y_o_u like to be an Amigoid too?"
>                              Not really. I find the Amigoid community to be
>                              EXCEEDINGLY rude.
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^ Boy, humour really doesn't exist
                                           in comp.sys.atari.st  :-(
                                                                  ^

                                           Please note the (semi) smiley face..
--

pete@utgpu.UUCP (05/10/87)

In article <476@uhccux.UUCP> yuan@uhccux.UUCP (Yuan Chang) writes:
>In article <1987May2.120331.17011@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> pete@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Peter Santangeli) writes:
>>>     I was wondering, what if your decided to boot your ST from floppy one day,
>>>and finds out that it doesn't contain GEMBOOT nor FOLDRXXX.PRG?  Slight
>>>instant disaster I suppose?
>>
>>I don't think so! There is a simple solution! The ST will only
>>Log the Hard disk in if the Hard disk driver program is present
>>on the boot disk. Simply make sure foldrxxx is on any copies of
>>your boot disk. Even better, run HDboot and let the machine
>>boot off of the Hard Disk!! Wasn't that easy?!
>

>     That wasn't really the point.  If you have a (say) commercial program,
>and it requires you to boot from it (copy protected and all), there'll be a
>chance in which such bug could creep in.  Besides, will the less experienced
>used be careful enough?

	I don't think your problem makes any sense. if you are
running a commercial program, and you want to be able to use your
hard disk, you are going to have to put your hard disk driver
on the boot disk. period. This is true whether it is copy protected
or not. while you are at it, doesn't it make sense to stick
foldrxxx on it at the same time? Follow this rule. If you want
access to your hard disk, put your driver and foldrxxx in AUTO.
If you don't care about access, don't bother with either of them.

It really is pretty simple!
There is one better solution. Lets all boycott copy protected
software once and for all!!!! (No flames please!)

>UUCP: {ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!yuan
>ARPA: uhccux!yuan@nosc.ARPA                       INTERNET: yuan@UHCC.HAWAII.EDU
>AT&T: (808) 395-1732        "I'm an Amigoid, she's an Amigoid, they're Amigoids,
>- Yuan Chang -                          Wouldn't _y_o_u like to be an Amigoid too?"

Pete Santangeli
pete@utgpu

weber_w@apollo.uucp (Walt Weber) (05/12/87)

In article <1191@imagen.UUCP> turner@imagen.UUCP (D'arc Angel) writes:
+in article <3499fce5.1f6@apollo.uucp>, weber_w@apollo.uucp (Walt Weber) says:
++
[...]

I plead guilty to speaking anthropomorphically, you quick-eyed rascal!  :-)