[comp.sys.atari.st] Hard Disks and 40 Folder Limit

Flash@UMASS.BITNET.UUCP (05/13/87)

In responce to the Amiga owner who keeps asking what happens if we boot
off a disk without a 40 folder fix.

I have, since I bought my hard disk, booted off the hard disk. This is
trivial, and for faster booting, I have been known to UNPLUG my disk
drive, and use my ST as a hard_disk based system. In the AUTO folder of
my hard disk, you will find GEMBOOT.PRG in there, which makes sure I
do not run into any problems. So, NONE of my disks have any fix or
booter on them. All is hard disk based.

Ok, so you ask, what do I do if I want to boot off floppy for one of those
copy-protected programs that auto-boot? Simple, I just hold down the
CONTROL-SHIFT-ALTERNATE trio during booting, and the harddisk booter
will recognize what I want, and not install the hard disk, and let the
system boot off the floppy. Viola. Since the hard disk is NOT installed,
there is no way any floppy program can get to the hard disk, and there
is no 40 folder limit problem to bother of.

In other words, since the GEMBOOT program is RIGHT on the auto folder of the
hard disk, there is NO way I can by-pass it when booting.

System Used:
520ST+
Supra 20 Meg Hard Disk
Version 2.61 of hard disk software
GEMBOOT version 1.06

Rick Flashman

1040 N. Pleasant Street, #381, Amherst, MA  01002. (413) 549-0173
Flash@UMASS.BITNET   -or-    Flash%UMASS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
                   R-FLASHMAN on GEnie

P.s. I had this Amiga, you know. After buying it, and realizing that
there was no software, I decided. "So what? I can just write a terminal
program in BASIC and use it as a terminal until some comes out." After
severe frustration, I was informed by Commodore.."We forgot to include the
RS-232 support in this version of BASIC, it will be implemented in the
next version." Oh of course, how silly me.

yuan@uhccux.UUCP (05/16/87)

In article <870513125001.000007E9.ALPX.MA@UMass> Flash@UMASS.BITNET (Rick Flashman) writes:
>In responce to the Amiga owner who keeps asking what happens if we boot
>off a disk without a 40 folder fix.

     Not really, I own an Apple and IBM PeeCee, but not Amiga (yet :-)

>Ok, so you ask, what do I do if I want to boot off floppy for one of those
>copy-protected programs that auto-boot? Simple, I just hold down the
>CONTROL-SHIFT-ALTERNATE trio during booting, and the harddisk booter
>will recognize what I want, and not install the hard disk, and let the
>system boot off the floppy. Viola. Since the hard disk is NOT installed,
>there is no way any floppy program can get to the hard disk, and there
>is no 40 folder limit problem to bother of.

     I'm not trying to nitpick on the 40_folder bug, but just merely trying
to see if there's a -possibility- that a HD gets trashed due to booting off
a floppy (Murphy's Law?).  I get the impression that what you're saying is
that it is -not- possible to trash the HD even when booting off a floppy?  Or
that you need to remember to hold the special key sequences down?  If there's
a possibility of doing something (no matter how remote the possibility is),
Somebody will do it...
--
UUCP: {ihnp4,seismo,ucbvax,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!nosc!uhccux!yuan
ARPA: uhccux!yuan@nosc.MIL                        INTERNET: yuan@UHCC.HAWAII.EDU