[comp.sys.atari.st] Bug with French TOS ?

poirot@inria.UUCP ( SPIT) (05/13/87)

 I would like to report a bug we have on many systems (at my office).I would
precise, we used 1040STF with French TOS. I don't know for my friends but I
use nite and the little clock in the upper right corner of the screen in the
AUTO folder. (I use GEMBOOT and HDBOOT too !).

Well, what is the problem:

 Sometimes, it seems that the system is sending by itself (without any human
operation) a lot of ESC caracters. So at GEM desktop level, it reads the
contents of the disk relative to the current window (the one selected).
 I have to press the ESC key (by myself) to stop it generating those unwanted
chars.

 I also notice, that before it begins to send those ESC chars, it send one
ESC and then after 3 or 4 seconds , send ESC without stopping.

 The problem didn't appear running UNITERM or INTERCOMM but mostly at Desktop
level.

 Has anyone encountered the same problem? Any solution ??

Thank for your help.

Didier POIROT

UUCP: ...!seismo!mcvax!inria!poirot

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed above do not necesseraly reflect those of my
Employer. I have no affiliations with any named company.

brianp@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (05/15/87)

In article <457@inria.UUCP> poirot@inria.UUCP ( SPIT) writes:
> I would like to report a bug we have on many systems (at my office).I would
> Sometimes, it seems that the system is sending by itself (without any human
>operation) a lot of ESC caracters. So at GEM desktop level, it reads the
>contents of the disk relative to the current window (the one selected).
> I have to press the ESC key (by myself) to stop it generating those unwanted
>chars.
> I also notice, that before it begins to send those ESC chars, it send one
>ESC and then after 3 or 4 seconds , send ESC without stopping.
>Didier POIROT
>UUCP: ...!seismo!mcvax!inria!poirot

I have seen a different bug which may be related.  I have Megaroids,
and sometimes in the middle of a game, it will make a horrible noise,
as if a key is being held down and keyclick is on.  Ending the game and
hitting any key stops it.  Sometimes the game starts in pause mode,
and the ESC key is what does that.  Also ESC sometimes pauses only until
the key is released, and sometimes until ESC is pressed a second time.
Looks like something doesn't like the escape key.
Anyone have a clue?
	Brian Peterson, ...!ucbvax!ucbernie!brianp (brianp@ernie.berkeley.edu)

john@viper.UUCP (05/15/87)

In article <457@inria.UUCP> poirot@inria.UUCP ( SPIT) writes:

 > I would like to report a bug we have on many systems (at my office).I would
 >precise, we used 1040STF with French TOS. I don't know for my friends but I
 >use nite and the little clock in the upper right corner of the screen in the
 >AUTO folder. (I use GEMBOOT and HDBOOT too !).
 >
 >Well, what is the problem:
 >
 > Sometimes, it seems that the system is sending by itself (without any human
 >operation) a lot of ESC caracters. So at GEM desktop level, it reads the
 >contents of the disk relative to the current window (the one selected).
 > I have to press the ESC key (by myself) to stop it generating those unwanted
 >chars.
 >
 > I also notice, that before it begins to send those ESC chars, it send one
 >ESC and then after 3 or 4 seconds , send ESC without stopping.
 >
 > The problem didn't appear running UNITERM or INTERCOMM but mostly at Desktop
 >level.
 >

 > Has anyone encountered the same problem? Any solution ??

  (big grin :)

  YES!  This is exactly the same problem I had for several months before
I managed to track it down.  The fix is to wait a week or so and then use
JClock instead of the corner clock you're now using.  (I wrote JClock
in the first place just to fix this problem and I will be posting it to
turner@imagen for sys.binarys.atari.st in about a week...)

  The problem is related to the priority order for keyboard packets and
the way most current corner clock programs are linked into the system.
JClock uses several tricks to avoid tying up the cpu for too long and
thus avoids the random [ESC] flood...

  BTW, pressing -any- key (the space bar is what I normaly used) will
cancel the flood.

  PS:  What is the name of the corner clock program you're now using
and how do you set the date and time?  I'm curious because I'm trying
to find out which already-existing programs have this problem.

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john

john@viper.UUCP (John Stanley) (05/18/87)

In article <18913@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>
brianp@ernie.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Brian Peterson) writes:

 >I have seen a different bug which may be related.  I have Megaroids,
 >and sometimes in the middle of a game, it will make a horrible noise,
 >as if a key is being held down and keyclick is on.  Ending the game and
 >hitting any key stops it.  Sometimes the game starts in pause mode,
 >and the ESC key is what does that.  Also ESC sometimes pauses only until
 >the key is released, and sometimes until ESC is pressed a second time.
 >Looks like something doesn't like the escape key.
 >Anyone have a clue?
 >	Brian Peterson, ...!ucbvax!ucbernie!brianp (brianp@ernie.berkeley.edu)

  Brian, take a peek at my previous response to this subject.  This
situation can occur any time you have a large interrupt load and the
mouse gets bumped (doesn't have to be very far, a large truck driving
by has done it to me...)

  If you have a corner clock or anything else that's timer interrupt
driven, I would suggest you consider removing it before running any
other program (like Megaroids) that ties itself into the interrupt
system then tries to do too much on each interrupt tick...

---