[comp.sys.atari.st] Question about Stereotek 3D Glasses

PRINS@HLERUL5.BITNET (05/15/87)

Date:     Fri, 15 May 87 14:06 N
From:     <PRINS@HLERUL5.BITNET> (R. Prins - Network Mgr. [DEC Sites] RU Leiden)
Subject:  Question about Stereotek 3D Glasses
To:       Info-Atari16@Score.Stanford.edu

Apart from being an Atari-ST fanatic, I am very much interested in Stereoscopy.
One of the reasons i bought an Atari is because I wanted to do something with
3-D in Stereo. Therefore I am very much interested in reports on the Stereo
Glasses from Stereotek (or is it Antic?).
Now my question? Are the Stereotek glasses anything more than an object seen
on shows or are they really on the market? My experience with stereo in the
current photography world is than the manufacurers think stereophotography
a nice thing to have on shows, but is'nt something to put serious effort in.
If they are marketed, is it in the USA only, or can you also get them in
Europe?

                        Thanks in advance for any answers,

                                        R. Prins,
                                        Leiden - Netherlands.

<My employer has nothing to do with this>

ljdickey@water.UUCP (05/16/87)

In article <8705151220.AA20728@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> PRINS@HLERUL5.BITNET writes:
>Apart from being an Atari-ST fanatic, I am very much interested in Stereoscopy.
>
>Now my question:  Are the Stereotek glasses anything more than an object seen
>at shows or are they really on the market?  My experience with stereo in the
>current photography world is than the manufacturers think stereophotography
>a nice thing to have on shows, but isn't something to put serious effort in.

I attended AtariFest a week ago today at INFOMART in Dallas.  I think that
the glasses I saw are not on the market yet.  The sales representative
at the booth said they might sell for about 150 dollars.

I looked through them at a monitor tackily shrouded with cardboard
(presumably to shade the screen from the flourescent lights in the
ceiling) and did see a flickering 3D color image.  The depth effect
went away when I tipped my head to the side.  Another viewer who put
the glasses on and looked in from the side did not see the 3D effect.

The presentation had the ambience of a "peep show" about it.

--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
 ljdickey@water.UUCP    ljdickey%water@waterloo.CSNET

rgoodman@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Ron Carl Goodman) (05/18/87)

>Now my question:  Are the Stereotek glasses anything more than an object seen
>at shows or are they really on the market?

I saw them at an all-Atari store in North Hollywood.  Unlike an earlier writer,
I had no difficulty seeing the 3-d effect, and with the glasses on, there
wasn't flickering.

Ron Goodman

--
rgoodman@cit-vax.caltech.edu    _______ _________ _________       |