[comp.sys.atari.st] CD Drive

agm@warwick.UUCP (04/01/87)

[]

I thought you netters out there mught be interested to know tha a British
company called British Unaxial Lasers has developped a CD based optical disk
for the ST.  The drives should be available for under 200 pounds when
they are launched later this year.

Andrew Minter
...seismo!mcvax!ukc!warwick!agm (I think!)

neil@atari.UUCP (04/06/87)

In article <513@ubu.warwick.UUCP>, agm@warwick.UUCP (Andy Minter) writes:

> I thought you netters out there mught be interested to know tha a British
> company called British Unaxial Lasers has developped a CD based optical disk
> for the ST.  The drives should be available for under 200 pounds when
> they are launched later this year.

Please get the address and telephone number of this company onto the net!
The price is unbelievable.  I'd personally like to know as much as possible
about this.

--
--->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation
UUCP: ...{hoptoad, lll-lcc, pyramid, imagen, sun}!atari!neil

spinner@topaz.UUCP (04/09/87)

> From: neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris)
> Subject: Re: CD Drive
> In article <513@ubu.warwick.UUCP>, agm@warwick.UUCP (Andy Minter) writes:
>
>> I thought you netters out there mught be interested to know tha a British
>> company called British Unaxial Lasers has developped a CD based optical disk
>> for the ST.  The drives should be available for under 200 pounds when
>> they are launched later this year.
>
> Please get the address and telephone number of this company onto the net!
> The price is unbelievable.  I'd personally like to know as much as possible
> about this.
>
> --
> --->Neil Harris, Director of Marketing Communications, Atari Corporation

I assume your response is also a joke; or perhaps you did not notice
that the original was posted with a date of 4/1/87 :)

April Fools!

Ron

[PS - If there REALLY were such a beast (emphasis on WRITEABLE CD), I
would not only have heard about it elsewhere, I would own one]
|Ronald A. Spinner     "Computer...computer...  Ah, a keyboard; how quaint..."|
|Arpa: spinner@rutgers  Uucp: ...{harvard | seismo | pyramid}!rutgers!spinner |

weber_w@apollo.UUCP (04/09/87)

In article <10865@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> spinner@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Ron Spinner) writes:
>> In article <513@ubu.warwick.UUCP>, agm@warwick.UUCP (Andy Minter) writes:
>>
>>> I thought you netters out there mught be interested to know tha a British
>>> company called British Unaxial Lasers has developped a CD based optical disk
>
>.....that the original was posted with a date of 4/1/87 :)

Made the same assumption by noticing that British Unaxial Lasers Ltd.
would be BULL :-)

--
Walt Weber               PHONE: (617) 256-6600 x7004
Apollo Computer          GENIE: W.WEBER

paone@topaz.UUCP (04/09/87)

I HAVE heard of a writtable CD elsewhere.  And I see no reason why
there could not be one for the ST.  However...the price should be
higher then most STers would go for though (At least this STer)
--
Phil Paone
paone@topaz.rutgers.edu

"Admiral...There be whales here"

john@viper.UUCP (04/11/87)

In article <10878@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> paone@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Phil Paone) writes:
 >I HAVE heard of a writtable CD elsewhere.  And I see no reason why
 >there could not be one for the ST.  However...the price should be
 >higher then most STers would go for though (At least this STer)
 >--
 >Phil Paone
 >paone@topaz.rutgers.edu
 >
 >"Admiral...There be whales here"

  I could be wrong on this..But..  Are you -Sure- the disks you are
thinking of are "CD" disks and not optical (aka:Laser) disks?  The only
read/write/erase very-high-density disks available now (that I've heard
of) are the 500 megabyte ones from 3M.  Those are, I think, laser optical
disks reather than CD's...  They may look similar, but the technology
problems and advantages are different in subtile but important ways....

---
John Stanley (john@viper.UUCP)
Software Consultant - DynaSoft Systems
UUCP: ...{amdahl,ihnp4,rutgers}!{meccts,dayton}!viper!john

dpz@paul.UUCP (04/11/87)

> From: john@viper.UUCP (John Stanley)

>   I could be wrong on this..But..  Are you -Sure- the disks you are
> thinking of are "CD" disks and not optical (aka:Laser) disks?  The only
> read/write/erase very-high-density disks available now (that I've heard
> of) are the 500 megabyte ones from 3M.  Those are, I think, laser optical
> disks reather than CD's...  They may look similar, but the technology
> problems and advantages are different in subtile but important ways....

True, true.  "CD" (for all that means) is just the size/shape/medium
on which the read-only laser disks will be made for micros.  The WORM
and rewritable disks may be larger (or smaller!).  500M *erasable*?
Yow, do you know what price range they are in?  They may be affordable
even sooner than I thought.

						dpz
--
David P. Zimmerman           rutgers!dpz           dpz@rutgers.edu

jack@mcvax.UUCP (04/11/87)

In article <1526@umd5.umd.edu> hans@umd5.umd.edu (Hans Breitenlohner) writes:
>   (2 years * 365 days/year * 24 hours/day * 3600 seconds/hour *
>      20 writes/second * 512 bytes/write) = (approximately) 646 gigabytes

You won't be able to fill a 600Gb disk in 2 years. Actually, you won't
be able to fill it at all! Can you say '40 folders':-(
--
	Jack Jansen, jack@cwi.nl (or jack@mcvax.uucp)
	The shell is my oyster.

engst@batcomputer.UUCP (04/12/87)

I may be mistaken, but wasn't Atari going to put out a CD disk for the ST
once they could get it in a reasonable price range and be dual purpose (ie
play the Beatles as well as Grolier's Encyclopaedia)?  Any comment on that,
Neil?

                                         Adam Engst

engst@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu
pv9y@cornella.bitnet

csan@its63b.ed.ac.uk (Andie) (04/20/87)

I have read a review about this . The review says that the disks can hold up
to 5 terabytes and uses a special form of liquid crystal to form its holding
surface. They say that you can use a domestic CD player suitably modified.
The review was in ST User International ... Personaly, Im very sceptical
about the whole thing ... as it was published in the April addition as was
already pointed out . I dont seem to remember any address being published
but I will check .

Sorry if this has already been mentioned/exposed/etc... Ive been on holiday
and still have 216 messages to catch up on .

Andie Ness . Department of Computer Science
              EDINBURGH University.

                   ARPA:  csan%ed.itspna@ucl-cs.arpa
                   UUCP:  ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!itspna!csan
                   JANET: csan@uk.ac.ed.itspna

% These are my own views and any resemblance to any coherent reasoning is
% probably a typo.
%
%  "The back row strikes again!"

qsfa1@unx1.UUCP (Graham Thomas) (04/22/87)

In article <10865@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> spinner@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Ron Spinner) writes:
>> From: neil@atari.UUCP (Neil Harris)
>> In article <513@ubu.warwick.UUCP>, agm@warwick.UUCP (Andy Minter) writes:
>>
>>> I thought you netters out there mught be interested to know tha a British
>>> company called British Unaxial Lasers has developped a CD based optical disk
>>> for the ST.  The drives should be available for under 200 pounds when
>>> they are launched later this year.
>>
>> etc.
>
>April Fools!
>
>Ron

It certainly was!  You might be interested to know that the story comes
from the April issue of the British mag. 'ST User' (now changing its name
to 'ST World').  It worked pretty well, as the story was spread about by
netters on UK nets (e.g. Micronet) as well as on Usenet.  The original
story emphasised that it was an affordable read/write system holding up
to 500 terabytes of information and was developed by British Uniaxial
Lasers Ltd - or BULL for short.  The version of the story that made it
to Usenet was much less incredible, so it's not really Neil Harris's
fault that he got so excited.

--
----
Graham Thomas, SPRU, Mantell Building, U of Sussex, Brighton, BN1 9RF, UK

Henry_Burdett_Messenger@cup.portal.com.UUCP (05/20/87)

     There is a WORM (write once read many) optical drive available NOW
     for the IBM PS/2 machines, so this isn't quite as farfetched as you
     might think...

     Henry B. Messenger, a DECperson, but in no way representing Digital.
     UUCP: henry.burdett.messenger@cup.portal.com
     CompuServe: 72477,3356