[comp.sys.atari.st] Scientific Publishing Partner

FXDDR@ALASKA.BITNET.UUCP (05/21/87)

Date:     Wed, 20 May 87 19:55 ADT
From:     <FXDDR%ALASKA.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:  Scientific Publishing Partner
To:       info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

One of my advisors here was sufficiently enthused about some of the documents
I turned out with Publishing Partner and the Apple LaserWriter that he
bought a couple of STs and Publishing Partner.  That means I have to pull
together the notes on using Publishing Partner (PP) with PostScript (PS)
for him to use, so I thought I might as well post a summary in case
other people are trying to do technical writing this way.  My first
major project, a photo-ready paper for Geophysical Research Letters,
should be out the door Real Soon Now.
1) SoftLogik says a new PS driver and a HP LaserJet II driver is now
   available.  I've sent for them but don't know how they'll affect the
   following.
2) Adjust Times-Roman screen font.  This is the one most journals want.
   The PP version has some discrepancies with the PS version, the worst
   being that its numerals are various widths while PS numerals are all
   the same width.  This makes columns of numbers look funny.  I now use
   my revised version which I call Times2.
3) If you use the screen font editor posted on CIS, you'll find the first
   32 codes of Helvetica have different symbols than the first 32 of Times-
   Roman.  Helvetica is correct, Times-Roman is garbage (this is also fixed
   in Times2).  These characters are accessible as follows:  ESCAPE SPACE
   generates screen code 127 decimal and sends 127 to PS.  ESC ! thru ESC ?
   generate screen codes 1-31 decimal and send 161-191 to PS.  This includes
   various useful characters, such as left and right double quotes, endash,
   etc.  Makes PP output look a lot more like TeX!
4) I defined a font called Symbol2 which maps into the PS Symbol font.
   Virtually all of the Symbol characters are accessible, and with a little
   care can be formed into fairly complex equations on screen.
5) The old PS driver keys off the font code: codes < 5000 -> Helvetica,
   codes >= 5000 -> Times-Roman.  I modified the driver so that it
   calls for "Rices-Roman" and "Symbol2" instead of Times-Roman and Helvetica
   in the PP PS output.  These fonts are simple variants defined in a short
   header that I prepend to the PP PS file.
The results, when handled carefully, are virtually indistinguishable from
TeX (in fact, some TeX hax have asked if they can use my macros...).  For
highly mathematical papers, PP probably won't save you much or any time
over TeX, since fiddling on screen takes almost as long as setting up the
TeX directives.  However for papers with moderate amounts of math, I find
PP is considerably faster to use than TeX...and it works quite nicely
with a single SSDD drive.
Anybody interested in the fonts is welcome to them.  Once I see what the
new PS driver is like, I will try to bundle up a "new and improved"
package and post it somewhere.
Don Rice
FXDDR@ALASKA.BITNET