[comp.sys.atari.st] esperanto

EDSTROM@UNCAEDU.BITNET.UUCP (05/21/87)

Date:     Thu, 21 May 87 11:43 MDT
From:     <EDSTROM%UNCAEDU.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>
Subject:  esperanto
To:       info-atari16@score.stanford.edu

I want to transmit graphs and such from my atari to a friend's Macintosh in
a distant city. Is there any common graphic language that can be used by
both machines?

PostScript sounds like it might be what I want. Does this sound reasonable?
What protocol do facimile machines use?

I am only interested in monochrome transfers so color-preserving protocols
are not needed.

edstrom@uncaedu.bitnet

holloway@drivax.UUCP (Bruce Holloway) (05/22/87)

In article <8705211811.AA29952@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> EDSTROM@UNCAEDU.BITNET writes:
>I want to transmit graphs and such from my atari to a friend's Macintosh in
>a distant city. Is there any common graphic language that can be used by
>both machines?

Your best bet is likely to be a RLE (Run Length Encoding) scheme. Run
Length Encoding builds a file with scanline information (i.e., four
white pixels, then three black, then ten white, then sixteen black, etc.)
and almost every computer has conversion to and from RLE. There are
two programs for the ST that do this - Pickswitch v7.0 converts from
RLE format to Neochrome or DEGAS format, and DEGTORLE converts from DEGAS
to RLE format.

There are probably similar programs for the Mac, but I have no idea what they
might be.

- Bruce
--
Bruce Holloway - Relapsed Newsaholic         {seismo,sun}!amdahl!drivax!holloway
"Everything should be made as complex as possible - esp. if you're paid hourly."