[comp.sys.atari.st] Wanted: decent linker for Atari ST

daffy@warwick.UUCP (05/21/87)

Hi net-filk,

I want to use my Atari to compile and link programs for vanilla 68000
single board micros.  The run-time support routines etc are not a
problem, neither is finding a suitable assembler or compiler, but
finding a suitable linker *is*.  All the ST linkers that I've looked at
(GST, D.R....) are only suitable for producing ST applications.

Does anyone know of a linker that runs on the ST, will produce S-records
(non-relocatable), and allows me to specify address information on a
segment by segment basis? That last requirement is the really important
one; for example a system might be partially in ROM and partially in
RAM, as well as having some memory-mapped I/O etc etc....  I want my
linker to resolve all that for me!

I've used 68000 cross-development systems on VAXen that do all these
things:  anyone know of one that runs on te Atari?  Either whole
development systems or just D.R. compatible linkers.

Thanks in advance,
				Steve.
--
"University computer centers are notorious for being run by
 empty-headed bozos."       -- Henry Spencer.

Steve Hunt			Mail: daffy@warwick.UUCP

manis@ubc-cs.UUCP (Vincent Manis) (05/23/87)

In article <533@ubu.warwick.UUCP> daffy@ubu.UUCP (Steve Hunt) writes:

>Hi net-filk,
I am *not* a filk. I can't speak for the rest of you.

>Does anyone know of a linker that runs on the ST, will produce S-records
>(non-relocatable), and allows me to specify address information on a
>segment by segment basis?
The Mark Williams linker (part of the ever-highly-recommendable MW C system)
has a -Rn option to specify the start address of a given .prg file. The
manual explicitly says this option is for ROM-based applications. The
resulting output file is not in S-record format, but it ought to be pretty
easy to write a .prg to S-record translator.

>"University computer centers are notorious for being run by
> empty-headed bozos."       -- Henry Spencer.

 "University computer centres are notorious for being used by
  empty-headed bozos."       -- Vincent Manis

-----
Vincent Manis                {seismo,uw-beaver}!ubc-vision!ubc-cs!manis
Dept. of Computer Science    manis@cs.ubc.cdn
Univ. of British Columbia    manis%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Vancouver, B.C. V6T 1W5      manis@ubc.csnet
(604) 228-6770 or 228-3061

"The difference between capitalism and communism is obvious: under capitalism,
 man exploits man, while under communism, it is exactly the opposite."